Anyone change their cabin filter yet? - LS1TECH

Go Back   LS1TECH > VEHICLE SPECIFIC FORUMS > LS4 Performance
Search

LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Anyone change their cabin filter yet?

Old 01-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
TECH Addict

Trader Rating: 3
Default Anyone change their cabin filter yet?

I think it's time to change the cabin air filter (~31,000mi) and was wondering if anyone else has done this yet. Seems straightforward. Pop the retaining pins from the cowl, remove cowl, replace filter, and reinstall. Having the wipers in the upright (on) position may help. Anyone know for certain it's not any harder than it looks? It appears to be directly under the D/S wiper.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
TECH Junkie

Trader Rating: 8

If its similar to the previous model wide bodies then its as you described. Thats how I change mine in my 99 Grand Prix.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
On The Tree

Trader Rating: 0

I have changed mine in my 06 impala. I think its on the passenger side. Remove the rubber trim and the push pins. Pretty easy once I figured out they were push pins. Thought I was damaging them when I first tried to get in there. It was pretty nasty also, wouldn't have thought it would have gotten that dirty that fast.

Last edited by impala06ss; 02-03-2008 at 03:20 PM.
impala06ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 01:19 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reminder ... are they still $30+ bucks for a HEPA one? Well worth it IMO!

Changed the one in my '98 GS, I thought I remember it was kind of a pain, not complicated but I think I crimped the filter or something. More clumsy than anything.

And yes - be gentle with the push pins, as they are an A surface item.
Kazmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
TECH Regular

I changed mine at 13,000km and it was disgusting. I could not believe how much stuff got caught up in that filter in such little time. Once spring hits I am putting in a new one.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
TECH Addict

So I should expect some nastiness when I do this at 32,000mi, huh? lol Talked to my parts guy and it's gonna be $33 shipped from him. Anyone know what the dealers are charging? Is the OEM filter HEPA?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Teching In

Your parts guy? Are you getting this from a website any of us can order from? I'm approaching 20k miles and its probably time to get this changed
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
12 Second Club

I got a Bosch one at Autozone for around $12. It's the same filter for the 04+ GP's. I buy two at a time for both of the vehicles and change them out every 6-8 months or so. They get pretty funky fast but once I started changing them out often my car smells a lot nicer.
Tate

2004 Fusion Orange Metallic CompG
Sold
Compg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
On The Tree

Buffalo,

Mine was greenish black. Does that answer your question? Gross! But like Compg says, you really notice an improvement in air quality inside the car after the change.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #10
TECH Junkie

Trader Rating: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala06ss View Post
Buffalo,

Mine was greenish black. Does that answer your question? Gross! But like Compg says, you really notice an improvement in air quality inside the car after the change.
Maybe I should do this....is there anywhere where you can buy these filter replacements online?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
On The Tree

Don't know where but I'm sure there is. I just bought mine at advance auto, it was around half the price of the one from my dealer.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM   #12
TECH Fanatic

not real sure how to get to the filter by the instructions given before. I'm afraid i'll break something anyone want to post pictures ??? is it the same on the IMSS as the MCSS ?
QTP Exhaust Cutout w/ switches indash / Flowmaster 40's
0 OTwire 2 Brutus 1606D 2 Elemental Design 16Ov.2 15inch woofers.
Springs shorted by 1 coil front/rear - R1Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotoros Front/Rear
Sint3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #13
TECH Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
Your parts guy? Are you getting this from a website any of us can order from? I'm approaching 20k miles and its probably time to get this changed
At www.NAIOA.com, ZSPOT works for a dealer and gets us fair prices on OEM equipment. Thats where I buy the majority of OEM parts from. Even if it's close to dealer price, I buy from him b/c (iirc) he gets a commission on it. So long as I'm not in a hurry, I'd rather buy from him and help him out.

Anyway...i popped the pins on the cowl the other day and cannot get to the filter. The passenger side cowl comes off completely, yet there is no filter to be found. The d/s is stuck down from the wipers. If you look at the cowl on the impala, the air intake is in front of the driver...isn't that where the filter would be??? I took a pic...lemme see if I can find it. Don't mind the filth...I had just gotten back from a horrible road trip...you should have seen the rest of the car that day:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
On The Tree

I checked for you Buffalo, maybe this will help others also. Removal of the push pins is all that holds it all in place. It is on the passanger side. Remove the push pins first, you have to pop up the center plug, not the whole plug. The plug in the center expands in the outer portion of plug to secure it. Sure you guys know this but I didn't until I fought it. Then remove the passanger cowl cover. Leave the window washer lines intact, just set it aside. Then lift out the divider piece and there it is. See the pics. Hope this helps somebody.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone change their cabin filter yet?-cabin-filter-1.jpg   Anyone change their cabin filter yet?-cabin-filter-2.jpg   Anyone change their cabin filter yet?-cabin-filter-3.jpg   Anyone change their cabin filter yet?-cabin-filter-4.jpg   Anyone change their cabin filter yet?-cabin-filter-5.jpg  

Old 02-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #15
TECH Addict

Thanks man....that helps a TON. For some reason, and maybe it was the 10* i was attempting this in, it appeared that that little flap that exposed the filter was more securely fastened. It looked like it was a few nut/bolt combinations holding it in there.

Gonna check AZ online and see how much a replacement is. if yours was greenish-black, i can only imagine mine at 32,000. ewwwww.

I'll make sure to post pics for your enjoyment, though. I swear my car doesn't smell moldy or anything

EDIT: $12 at Autozone...going to pick one up later today or tomorrow on my lunch break.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #16
On The Tree

Yeah, there are little raised circles on that flap, easily confusing. It does look secured. You were so close. I first thought I didn't have one either. I actually contacted the dealer about it but they were not much help since they wanted to do it for me.

Filter condition could be dependent on your local climate. I live in Georgia, it is warm here often. That may cause mold growth. In colder conditions, it may last for a long time. I think I changed mine around 25k. I've put about 7k on it since and it still looks new but it has been cold outside since I changed it mostly.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
TECH Addict

I went to AZ and after about 15min of the guy twiddling his thumbs trying to first find it in the computer and then on the shelf, the mgr came over and said "dumbass, they;re in the back where they always were!" $13 later it's sitting on my front seat. I'll try the swap tomorrow AM...shouldn't take too long, now that I've taken it apart once. Although, I should probably do it tonight so that if I come out all grimy I don't have to worry about finding something else to wear to work I gotta believe it's gonna be nasty...but the car doesn't smell bad, imo.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
TECH Fanatic

prob dosnt smell bad but will definatly smell better :X thx guys for the pics
QTP Exhaust Cutout w/ switches indash / Flowmaster 40's
0 OTwire 2 Brutus 1606D 2 Elemental Design 16Ov.2 15inch woofers.
Springs shorted by 1 coil front/rear - R1Concept Drilled/Slotted Rotoros Front/Rear
Sint3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #19
TECH Junkie

Trader Rating: 4

OMG BUFF! what a dirty car.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #20
TECH Addict

Well, I swapped the filters this morning. Easy as hell. Used a multitool that I keep under the rear seat and used the pliers to pop the middle plugs on the side...then pulled the retainers out too (I found last time that putting them back in is easier if you preassemble the plug into the retainer).

The filter wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be after 31,xxx mi. Sorry for the crappy pics, but you get the idea:

New one installed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho SS View Post
OMG BUFF! what a dirty car.
Yeah, tell me about it. The following pics were taken the morning after I had to drive from Rochester to Buffalo without using I-90, as it was closed last Wednesday due to zero visability:

And I did this for the crew at NAIOA

And here's one for ***** and giggles: my headlight project is finally complete (although I still haven't found a permanent cure for the small amount of condensation that shows up from time to time)

Old 02-05-2008, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement