LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

8000k vs. 6000k vs. 4300k HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Buffalo I just ordered my kit. The instructions you posted on NAIOA are very informative so I'm sure they will be a big help when I install them. Although I prefer 6000k I got the 4300k. Wanted to get 5000k like you said but they were not listed for the H11s. I tried to do the "custom order" option but even then no 5000k were listed. No biggie though as I'm sure I'll be happy with the 4300k and they should attract less attention from the cops since they have less color.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds good. Glad I was able to help.

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Carlo
Well I guess that would be a good thing to test before going though with all of this...
I guess...if you care whether or not they work. I didn't. However, I will test whether or not they work for you (and others) with the relay kit. Just have to dig out the manual and determine which size fuse goes where.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 PM

Hey Buffalo, newbie here to both the forum and HIDs. I'm thinking of getting some 4300 but had some questions about your pics:

1. Did you use a plug n play? If so, how did you reduce the glare for oncoming drivers?
2. Why didn't you retrofit?

Thanks.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, my kit was relatively PnP. There is practically NO glare to oncoming drivers with the new Impala lenses. I've never been flashed by oncoming drivers with these HIDs installed.

You talking about a projector retrofit? Didn't try a retrofit b/c I'm not handy like that. Had the first kit I got blinded people, I probably would have attempted a retrofit, but since the issue hasn't come up, I'm not interested.

However, I do have a TON of headlight parts in my shed, so if anyone COULD afford to do this, it'd be me I think I've got at least 3 extra pairs of headlights back there in different stages of assembly from my "painted housing" and tinting mods.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hm. Speaking of, can you PM me the details on the painted housing? I'm wanting to do it on the Monte..
Old 03-11-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

It's a pretty simple process, really...but trial and error is a bitch. The first set I did at 225* in the oven for 20min or so. Take it out and quickly pry the lens from the housing. If the adhesive (it's not regular glue or sealant) hardens, back into the oven it goes. Do this until you can get the lens off w/o mangling the housing.

Unfortunately, this results in a softened, if not warped altogether, amber reflector...so unless you have spares, you'll need to fab up something to fill the void (think fluorescent tube light diffuser panel (?))

The other way, which is a MUCH slower yet less harmfull process, is to use a heat gun and slowly heat the headlight inch-by-inch and cut out the adhesive as you go along.

After you've gotten them separated, you need to remove ALL remnants of the old adhesive. I used a razor blade and a thin, flat screwdriver to scrape it all out and rough up the channel.

Painting is the easiest part. The chrome piece comes out and needs to be thoroughly sanded, primed, and painted. Once it's dry, put it all back together with the sealant of your choice.

I used almost the whole caulk-gun sized tube of black RTV to do one headlight. Squeeze a liberal amount into the channel and reassemble the units (paying particular attention to the guide tabs (the chrome "fits" onto the black housing with a couple tabs)). Hold the lens onto the housing with BIG clamps, or BIG books, or stones, or something (the odd shape makes it tough to do). Let it dry then go over the seal with another good amount of RTV and smooth it out with your finger just as you would caulk. After THAT dries, consider adding one more layer to make sure all the cracks are sealed, then let that dry.

After that, just reinstall and enjoy!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

RTV isn't the preferred way, use butyl rubber, the stuff window guys use to reseal the lights, it works better....
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Never even thought of that. If I ever do this again (VERY DOUBTFUL!) I'll definitely consider it.

Here are a couple galleries with photos from the Blackout mod:

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d94/BuffaloSS/Mods/

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...Outs/?start=40
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

I think you should do it again, for me! They look real good though I wish I could do mine like that but I'm sure I would mess it up.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BuffaloSS
yeah, my kit was relatively PnP. There is practically NO glare to oncoming drivers with the new Impala lenses. I've never been flashed by oncoming drivers with these HIDs installed.

You talking about a projector retrofit? Didn't try a retrofit b/c I'm not handy like that. Had the first kit I got blinded people, I probably would have attempted a retrofit, but since the issue hasn't come up, I'm not interested.

However, I do have a TON of headlight parts in my shed, so if anyone COULD afford to do this, it'd be me I think I've got at least 3 extra pairs of headlights back there in different stages of assembly from my "painted housing" and tinting mods.
What's relatively pnp? Your pics make it seem like you changed just the bulb, is there more to it?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

Check out the install link (to NAIOA.com) I posted in this thread. There is a wiring harness that gets power and gnd from the car and runs to a pair of ballasts which then run to the pair of headlights. Eliminate the OEM driver's bulb connector, tap into the passenger's bulb connector for on/off signal, and there you have it.

By PnP (plug-n-play) I mean that you weren't cutting/tapping into factory wiring or making irreversable changes.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:54 PM
Teching In

i know this is an old thread but this is one of my next non performance mod to my impala ss

Quick Reply: 8000k vs. 6000k vs. 4300k HIDs