LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Step by step TBS install

Old 03-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Step by step TBS install

1. Remove plastic engine cover
2. Unhook the 2 quick disconnect pcv ports from intake elbow and TB.
3. Unplug MAF sensor and TB electrical connector.
4. Loosen hose clamp and seperate MAF and filter from intake elbow.
5. Loosen Intake elbow mounting bracket at trans and remove intake elbow bracket mounting bolt from elbow.
6. Remove intake elbow from vehicle.
7. Unbolt TB from intake.
8. With provided hardware and seal re-install TBS and TB.
9. Reverse removal procedure.

You will have to slightly bend the heater core lines out of the way of the TB so the pcv port on the TB will not hit the lines.
You will also have to bend the trans to intake elbow mount bracket slightly forward. Most TBS are 1 inch thick so you are spacing your intake out that much.
Take a 3 inch piece of 3/8 fuel line and replace the rubber elbow on the pcv port on the front valve cover to intake elbow. The factory rubber elbow won't reach. The other pcv line that goes to the TB will reach though.
Test fit everything first before you tighten it all back together. After everything mates up perfect fire your vehicle up and listen for any unusual noises.
There will be a sucking sound or swoosh upon medium to heavy acceleration, this is just the TBS working. Enjoy.

Note: This is for installation of AiRaid's TBS 200-586 with a K&N CAI. I will post some more new pics in a few days. Hope this helps you all.
Attached Thumbnails Step by step TBS install-picture-003.jpg   Step by step TBS install-picture-004.jpg   Step by step TBS install-picture-006.jpg   Step by step TBS install-picture-010.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it really worth the money?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nope...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it really worth the money?
I have had a tbs on several vehicles and I always noticed the gain "IT WAS NOT HUGE" but you notice it. I would say a good hp some people believe in them and some don't. You can say they don't work until you try it on your application and see.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't mind hearing a technical explanation as to why certain people believe they would work. The original reasoning behind their purpose lies in carb'd applications, and remains there to my knowledge since no fuel passes through the TB. I am open to ideas as to what purpose they serve though.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 03-31-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its like saying oh let me add a inch of hose to this "water hose" and i'll get more flow but all thats out then window because scarlett can FEEL THE 6 extra hp. amazing.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Its like saying oh let me add a inch of hose to this "water hose" and i'll get more flow but all thats out then window because scarlett can FEEL THE 6 extra hp. amazing.
Your a goof!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had one on my old 2001 GP GT and I can't say it worked for any gains in itself but what it did for that particular application is cut the coolant flow into the throttlebody. This kept the TB a lot cooler so the air was cooler entering the engine. I am not sure if our intake manifods are set up the same way or not?... If they are, then this will be worth the cost; if not, then why bother? Hope this helps.

-Mike
Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

no, we don't have the coolant flowing to/through the throttle body on our cars... so there is no throttle body bypass needed since it doesn't exist in the first place...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome wright up. Thanks again...!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Taz34SS
Awesome wright up. Thanks again...!!!
No prob. I gotta quit talking about TBS on here apparently everybody dislikes them and thinks there are a waste of money. Ahh, don't knock it till you try it I always say. Well...... sometimes anyways

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Step by step TBS install