LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

Popping front end

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping front end

I just wanted to run my newest problem by everyone to get an opinion. Aside from the broken window regulator, creaking dash, and random SES light. Now my car is making a very loud pop towards the front end, perhaps on the rightish side. It usually only happens when I come off my drive way, which is a little steep, onto the road. The right wheel is always already level, and the pop happens when the left wheel lowers down.

I've looked over the swaybar and the endlinks. I can't really see anything wrong there. And don't understand why when the left side moves, it causes a noise towards the right side. I've also noticed that road vibrations are much more apparent in the brake pedal, and to some degree the steering wheel.

I've checked my front engine mount as well, it doesn't look to be an issue. It's hard to tell about the rear mount, as I'm not sure what a normal one looks like. The right side hub seems okay, brake caliper is still tight too.

Any ideas\opinions?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wheel bearings...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not the same car, but my TA recently had the same issue. At first glance the sway bar & brackets looked OK... but after crawling further under the car I saw one of the sway bar brackets had 2 of its 4 legs broken.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did get a chance to jack up the right side today. I couldn't move the wheel up and down or left to right at all (seems to be a common method for detecting a bad hub). If anyone knows a better way, please let me know. Though, when I dropped the jack down. I did hear the noise, and it was from somewhere near the wheel well, but it didn't seem to be the wheel itself. I didn't have time to look over the sway bar mounts, I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the help again.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

my imp pops too mostly when i turn an ocassionally when i go over a speed bump guess im making a trip to the chevy store
Old 10-07-2008, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poping might be intermediate steering shaft. After i got my ISS replaced i now have a "clicking" sound i can only hear it in the garage from sound bouncing off walls.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Tie rod? But you'd notice that when you jiggled the tire around.

However, to the untrained eye, I'd think it's completely possible to miss the "obvious."
Old 10-08-2008, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sint3k
Poping might be intermediate steering shaft. After i got my ISS replaced i now have a "clicking" sound i can only hear it in the garage from sound bouncing off walls.
I agree with Sint3k... sounds like an I-shaft to me. There was a service bulletin for dealers with early 08's on the lot to replace the I-shaft before delivery. Of course many still have probably been delivered with bad I-shafts. Not a safety concern... none the less I would take it to a dealer and have them fix it under warranty.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way i was able to recreate the popping noise was just to drive around a walmart parking lot. It seemed the slow speed and constant turning recreated the symptoms.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

Well I don't really get any popping when turning of any type. Steering is still largely smooth. The most I feel is though the brake pedal and from the noises towards the passenger side of the car. I've tugged and twisted the tie rod ends with a wrench, they didn't seem loose. And moving the steering back and forth with the car off, didn't really produce anything either. Guess I just need to go jack it up and look around.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

it was my ISS they replaced it and that seemed to solve my prob
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm going to try to investigate the ISS and perhaps lube it just because. At least it will be cheap to try, versus the window regulator.

Anyone by chance know the part number for the newer ISS for the 06+ Wbody?
Old 10-10-2008, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MagnaPilot
Well I'm going to try to investigate the ISS and perhaps lube it just because. At least it will be cheap to try, versus the window regulator.

Anyone by chance know the part number for the newer ISS for the 06+ Wbody?
The newest P# for the I-shaft on 06'-up Impalas is GM19153614 (replaces GM26088325, GM26104449). The Ishaft for the Impala is different than for the Monte.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:04 AM

Totally late on this but to help other people out I had a loud popping and cracking noise while turning the vehicle and also a loud thud noise while hitting bumps and letting off the gas and breaking took both front wheels off and found tie rod and rubber was cracked and split and also the sway bar link pin was busted on left side that is my clunking sound on the acceleration and braking and also found the creaking and popping sound while turning which is the right side sway bar link pin inside the bushing the collar that goes around the bolt was cracked all the way around and when turning the wheel causing a popping and cracking sound when that collar was popping against itself hope this is helpful to some of you thank you
Old 11-07-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06bluemcss
Totally late on this but to help other people out I had a loud popping and cracking noise while turning the vehicle and also a loud thud noise while hitting bumps and letting off the gas and breaking took both front wheels off and found tie rod and rubber was cracked and split and also the sway bar link pin was busted on left side that is my clunking sound on the acceleration and braking and also found the creaking and popping sound while turning which is the right side sway bar link pin inside the bushing the collar that goes around the bolt was cracked all the way around and when turning the wheel causing a popping and cracking sound when that collar was popping against itself hope this is helpful to some of you thank you
Punctuation? Sentences? Paragraphs?

Quick Reply: Popping front end