LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

spin on adpator oil bypass valve

Old 10-14-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question spin on adpator oil bypass valve

I tryed a couple of searches but nothing but on the bypass valve I read that a sertant amount of unfilter oil is bypassing the filter plus what about people that run really high pressure don't alot of that oil go pass the filter ?
I was thinking of doing something differant maybe welding my bypass valve closed and runing hp filters ?

have any of you guys seen that or don it.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=build+lt1

Post # eight third picture down.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

Nice wright up, but i'm wondering if its worth it?
mines a DD 50miles a day and I don't want my filter to fail and starve my bearings for oil.
i guess I will have to keep my eyes and change my oil reg.
my last motor messed up because my bypass valve STUCK OPEN and dirty oil was circlating in my motor i'm not sure how long but my bearings were messed up and my motor had only 22,000 miles on it.
I should have checked it when i changed my oil but the car is so low that when i changed my oil I drive on 2 ramps on one side about 4" high I berley have room for my arms to reach under and turn the filter.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
12 Second Club

I thought about it also but i dont feel its worth it. how did you know it was stuck open? Another thread

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...ght=oil+bypass
Old 10-14-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

well long story short my motor ran great but once it got warmed up it sounded like it was falling apart just rough and loose but the next day i fire it up and great and wondering what could it be but like I said after driving for a little it sounded bad not a rod knock just loose after i sepperated the transmission from the motor and I fired up the motor the sound was still there, ( I had just finished rebuilding my tranny a few months before that)

my FIRST CLUE should have been that my oil was ALWAYS dirty I told friend that my oil was dirty when I change my oil ( every 2000 miles) he said that the oils was doing its job and getting all the dirt out of the motor .... yeah I said .(nope)

well after pulling my motor out and getting it on my stand I pulled the oil pan off Oh after I drained the oil that looked like glitter out everything looked good thinking to myself I hope I didn't tear it out for nothing.
so I poped off one rod cap and wow what a mess then I poped off a main cap and it was really bad like you got some sand paper and sand your bearings down.

well after I tore everything apart nothing ?
so I started to think maybe it was my 2nd CLUE LOW oil pressure I was only runing just about a tab above my RED mark idle, and crusing I was at 18 psi on my gauge but I fig it was my gauge...

well the next week or so I was looking at my block and I looked at my spin on adpator and it was stuck open to one side.....( the block was upside down)
I was glad I found it but ashame that a new $20 part messed my motor up
on the adpator when you push it with something it always got stuck on the inside housing so it must of gotting stuck the first time I got on it.
my fault I should have looked at it every time I change my oil.

Sorry for the long story.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was always told that on a engine that has a number of miles on it and gets your every day normal driving beating on, will dirty up the oil after like 750miles :\
Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

I remember after I rebuilt my motor I change the first oil change it was only after runing 2 hours then the next at 200 miles then 1000 miles and I cut the filters open I used to see metal junk in there but I fig it was the motor breaking in but it did get less and less after each oil change....

I was thinking of using a 180* thermostat in stead of the 160* so the oil will get thinner and 5-30 instead of 10-30 so it will flow better through the filter?

i'm in cali so it don't get that cold here.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

i changed my oil today break-in 250 miles it was dirty but not bad no metal particals in it that I can see then I cut my filter and it looked really good dirty and very minimum junk in it nothing compare to last motor it had alot of metal junk it it and even the oil did
oh and my bypass valve was closed :-)
big big differance compare to my last motor , I also went with 5-30 gtx oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: spin on adpator oil bypass valve