LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

AIR/EGR Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AIR/EGR Question

Did all LT1 based cars come with the AIR/EGR hook up for smog purposes? I was told some of them did not?? I have a set of LPP headers I want to run and they obviously don't have the hook up for smog testing. I was told I can still run them w/ the block off plates and still pass smog testing just as long as I have good o2 sensors and cats. They don't pop the hood for testing anymore here. Now they just stick some sensor rod up the exhaust pipe and have us rev the engine for a few seconds at 2000 rpms. Anyone do this and still pass the smog test or know if it will indeed pass w/o the hook up?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are in a 94 iirc? [edit: im retarded your SN has 94 in it haha, so yea you should be good]
you might have to have the EGR tuned out of the computer, not sure if it will throw a code if its just blocked off and not functional, but otherwise if you had cats and they stuck the thing in your exhaust i'd think you'd pass with ease assuming your car is running well, and from the threads ive read it is then i think you should be good man.

Last edited by PNYKLR-TA; 10-15-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
you are in a 94 iirc?
you might have to have the EGR tuned out of the computer, not sure if it will throw a code if its just blocked off and not functional, but otherwise if you had cats and they stuck the thing in your exhaust i'd think you'd pass with ease assuming your car is running well, and from the threads ive read it is then i think you should be good man.
Yeah I'm thinking I will be ok...guess I will find out when I run her through here in a year or so. Thanks for the reply man.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

ha you must have been responding right when i caught the fact that your name has the 94 in it haha! stupid me. but yea i'd say as long as you have cats and a tune you should pass with pretty easy, its if and when they did pop the hood and see that the headers weren't CARB is when you wouldnt pass i think, but hey if they arent opening the wood, "what moma doesnt know won't hurt her" from the great water boy.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just curious, what happens if someone dooesn't pass? Do you get like a slip saying you didn't pass then come back in a week with problem fixed to have tested again? And if you don't pass again they impound your car or something? I'm kind of clueless on this since I've never been through it.

All we have here is if you are pulled over the cop can lay down and look for cats, no cats $1500 ticket.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

Ha Ha! Yup, I think even if they did open the hood 9 out of 10 people prob wouldn't know what to look for anyway. When I ran her through smog this year they had directed me to the lane that tested 99 and up cars...lol The guy testing said, "man that's one of the new Camaros..wow!" LMAO!!! I told him it was a 94 and he felt pretty dumb and then directed me to the correct testing lane.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lt1z28camaro
Just curious, what happens if someone dooesn't pass? Do you get like a slip saying you didn't pass then come back in a week with problem fixed to have tested again? And if you don't pass again they impound your car or something? I'm kind of clueless on this since I've never been through it.

All we have here is if you are pulled over the cop can lay down and look for cats, no cats $1500 ticket.
If I went through and didn't pass I could go back the same day or to a different tesing station. They CAN'T impound the car. All they have is record in their system saying you have been through before and the car didn't pass. Doesn't say why it didn't pass, just tells them you were in before. If they tried to impound my car someone would be getting knocked out
Old 10-15-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha i see, so what if you never pass?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

then you can re-register your car and your tags will be expired. thats the only thing. then a cop can give you a ticket for expired tags.

and elliot thats the funniest thing ive ever heard, this is one of the new camaro's! thats totally why its being tested , cause all brand new cars are good for like what 4 years!? so the new camaro came out in 2004? WTF!? and you have a very good point i was thinking the same thing about my long tubes they dont check under the hood but if they did i got the black pacesetters so they look stock and i bet those retarded dont really even care, most of them come from the employement assisntance places anyway!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

If I didn't pass then I could either register my car where they don't have emissions or put different headers on that were code...which would suck donkey dic*

Pnyklr, I wanted to bust out crying when the guy thought it was a new Camaro..goes to show you how educated folks are with the new line up of Muscle coming out.

Quick Reply: AIR/EGR Question