LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How big of a PITA is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How big of a PITA is it?

I am really thinking of relocating the alternator and ditching the P/S. Couple of questions though.

1. What mods do I need to complete on the p/s? Do i have to change out the rack to a non p/s setup or just plug all openings?

2. I plan on swiching to a set of prostars or draglights on the front with a smaller tire. This is a DD but I only drive it about 2 miles per day and occasional trip to the track. Is it a also a PITA to steer one of these cars without it?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 09:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1)to do the full relocation, you need to pull the P/S and the AC, there may be some things out there that let you keep the AC but I don't know about it...

2)with skinny tires it isn't too bad with a looped stock rack, and much easier to turn with the vehicle moving a little, like at stop signs and such, you only really feel it when trying to turn it at a standstill... If you were using it to DD for longer distances then I would say get a manual rack, but I have done a few 15-20 mile drives with mine a few days a week back in the day and it was OK, but you got a little bit of a workout...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

yes, the a/c compressor is shot anyway and its going bye bye. I wanted to clean the engine bay up and do the mod but I didnt want it to be a big pain in the *** to drive.

Will it hurt the rack by looping it and driving it? I don't want it to fail.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine has been looped for a few years now, no issues...

http://www.1slowformula.com/HVAC-rad...lete/index.htm
Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

wow, great pics there! Thanks for that link. Looks like you took one of the existing hoses and just looped it back over. Nice. I think I am going to have to try this once I get the front wheels/tires. Really cleans it up in there and will allow me to detail.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: How big of a PITA is it?