LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Firdbird Forumla Traction Control????

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firdbird Forumla Traction Control????

Everytime i give it gas and shift hard, i get the orange light "low traction" and it seems like power is cut.

Does the car have traction control?? If it does, i cant figure out how to turn it off. I mean, if it has sensors to detect low traction, it must have traction control in my mind.

Also the ABS light flashes sometimes when i shift hard. Any thoughts on either of these?

Thanks guys.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a big black box thing above the driver side valve cover? there is also a switch located right in front of the shifter and below the radio to turn off traction control. (if you have it??) it says TCS
Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
do you have a big black box thing above the driver side valve cover? there is also a switch located right in front of the shifter and below the radio to turn off traction control. (if you have it??) it says TCS
I don't see a TCS button, but ill have to double check.

is there a fuse i can pull?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

does your car have this above the valve cover? if it does, you can just disconnect the electrical connector thats hidden behind that thing. i think if you do unplug it your abs light will come on. it wont affect your braking at all. i deleted the whole thing from my car.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

no i dont have that.

why does the low traction light come on though? i mean, that would lead me to believe i have trac control.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Addict

well thats not traction control thats just the sensors in the wheels saying the rear tires are spinning faster then the fronts or vice versa. fronts are spinning slower(due to locking up of the brakes or something like that. but even when i do a burnout that light doesnt come on for me. only if i brake hard and the fronts lock up it will pop on but it doesnt kill my power or anything like your experiencing

if you dont have that thing by the valve cover then you dont have traction control. all f-bodies have the 'Low Trac" light. i know if the roads are wet and i hit the brakes hard enough it will activate that light. but thats all it does. its a dummy light saying your front wheels are slipping during braking. it is wierd that you lose power like that because that is what traction control does if it is on but you dont have it. im stumped. maybe someone else will chime in.

maybe your wheel sensors are bad

Last edited by Badazz 97 TA; 10-21-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

I've had that light come on also, usually happens on hard downshifts. I would say if yours is coming on while upshifting, your making alot of power or the sensor is damaged of going bad. I would try to find and replace the sensor that control it, or you can tune it out. I know I've seen it in the Tuner Cat software.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Goat2NV
I've had that light come on also, usually happens on hard downshifts. I would say if yours is coming on while upshifting, your making alot of power or the sensor is damaged of going bad. I would try to find and replace the sensor that control it, or you can tune it out. I know I've seen it in the Tuner Cat software.
Well, i've got 275's on the back wheels.

Modlist:

LT1 87k miles

headers, ypipe with highflow cat, slp catback, edelbrock 52mm TB, suncoast ramair hood w/ram air intake, 48state software prom.

misc suspension

Last edited by nik1703; 10-21-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Launching!

It is a a dumb light, mine only comes on when I'm **** *** sideways and I think "no ****." It should say "have fun counter-steering"

Quick Reply: Firdbird Forumla Traction Control????