LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Wow, it started!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wow, it started!

Really, it runs?
I haven't driven it yet, just wanted to see if it ran and I had oil. Yep has good pressure and holds a idle, its so freaking loud open header I can't tell if the valves are somewhat adjusted right. I'm guessing they aren't too tight as it fired up once I primed the fuel for the 4th time. Got a SES light, I forgot to setup my laptop, so don't know what it popped for, I'm hoping nothing serious, perhaps due to the fact there is no exhaust on the thing. Does that freak out o2 sensors to the point it will pop a code? Oh well next startup I will have freescan running.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am jealous... yours runs why can't mine.

Def congrats though, did you tune out for the rear o2's if not thats my guess but I doubt you did not.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why wasnt it running in the first place? Im sure its posted somewhere but i forgot???
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Your the 2nd member to get ya car running this week ! I can't wait to finally get mines going !
Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Cross its a 94, no rear o2's. I'll know come this next week, I'm going to get the exhaust sorted out before I start it again, and I will have freescan running. Gotta love having a pre 95 car and being able to utilize freescan.

ACHotrod, I took my car off the road in June. I bought the_Merv's motor he built before his current badass setup. It had been sitting in my garage for over a year, once the rear main blew out of my 165k stocker(not to mention that oil was coming out of everywhere, but the rear main did the clutch in, what a mess) I decided it was def. time to swap the motor in. I'm just happy after I decided to prime the fuel pump a little more it fired right off.

If I have any loose valves I'd never be able to tell, I'm trying to get my exhaust on the thing by Tuesday before I fire it up again. Just glad that when put all back together with a motor that hasn't been run in well over a year that it fired right up and I had good oil pressure.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

About damn time..lol
Sounds really good, I see you used my custom Engineered Alternator Bracket..I kept snapping that off for some reason, the second time I said the hell with buying a new one.

That Engine was really loud for a Hot Cam Engine, it's 11.0:1 Compression. Melling High Pressure Oil Pump too, so you better have Oil Pressue..lol
It's a runner too, that thing was an LS1 Killer, so keep it's name..lol

The Valves on that thing are really touchy, you will find that out when you go to adjust them.

Congrats.

Last edited by the_merv; 10-26-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks.

Yeah if it works why change it? I didn't feel like swapping the brackets. Hopefully I don't need that little bracket on the back of the A/C compressor to the block, I figured it was stable enough by what was holding it out front.

This is only my second time trying to adjust valves, at least it started. My first attempt a few years back was complete failure, Comp's instructions didn't state that the pushrod would be loose on the next rotation of the crank so of course I kept tightening them.

Hopefully I don't have any too tight, I used the half and half method, half of them at #1 TDC then the other half at #6 TDC. I did 3/4 turn past zero. Like I said if I have any loose ones at the minute I can't hear them, gotta finish my exhaust this week.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Grats you got it running! I'm jealous, mine has quite a ways to go still and I never thought I could miss a car so much .

Running open headers for a day and a half was enough to kill the o2's on my car after I finished the first build, just driving a few miles to work. Part of that was from the brand new headers burning off the innner coating though.

Sure sounds intimidating as hell, right?

Tie it all together and start thrashing it for those of us who's latest builds aren't running yet!!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh disasters never end though, looked under there before jacking it back up to attempt to attack the exhaust, damn pinion seal is leaking. Looks like its maiden voyage is going to be to the shop I go to, I don't screw around with rear ends, don't know a damn thing about them.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

^^Bla.. we all know you are an ***-pirate..

J/P..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

FYI - The ses light will probably pop if you are running no exhaust as the O2s will detect more oxygen and dump fuel richening it up a ton due to a false lean condition. Pull the code real quick and make sure.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah next startup I will have the laptop at the ready.

Damn Merv, that's just wrong. Watched the video again, see you trapped 110mph with this motor. That's 6 mph faster than I had ever achieved with the bolt on stocker. I can't wait to get to the track and see where I am at now. My 60' will probably be a sad joke, haven't been to the track in over 6 months now.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

I'm willing to bet it'll blow a 10-bolt.. lets see it happen..
Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm I def. have loose rockers. Its hard to tell but on the second startup today it barely would hold a idle and the whole front of the motor sounded like a rapidly ticking clock. Other problem I have is well the front of the exhaust isn't exactly great, so I could have leaks, but I'm mostly sure the rockers are making racket.

Also popping code 43, yep knock sensor circuit. OK have some questions here. If the rockers are loose, will this induce the knock sensor to trip? I have a LT4 KM, and according to the sheet Ion included with the PCM when it was sent back, the knock was also desensitized. Any issue if the LT4 KM is installed and the PCM was desensitized?

Well off to adjust rockers!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

It could possibly be popping up cause it's looking for it, and it hasn't been tuned out of the PCM. That code means there is a fault with the Circuit, not getting the signal, not the Knock Sensor not working.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds good, glad it fired up after priming the pump a bit, I started mine yesterday open header, would not idle due to cam etc. Glad to see yours runs and no little things are wrong, except the SES light.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Last time I had a 43 pop was due to the resistance being screwed up in the knock sensor I had gotten from Napa. I don't see any reason why this one is messed up, I didn't change it, I'm hoping once the valves are adjusted again perhaps things will be good.

That's my question though, if when tuned it was desensitized, but I already had a LT4 KM in the PCM(I neglected to state that on my tune order sheet) will this cause issues??

I'm thinking I'm going to do another half turn, then button everything back up and see how it runs. I'm sure the lifters weren't pumped up at all during the first adjustment, I hate adjusting valves, its like voodoo to me.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Get that sucker together and go beat some LS1 garbage!
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

^^That little Engine will do it too..

Yea, adjusting Valves got to be a pain in the *** after a while, I'm glad that mine are easy, 22ft/lbs on the Pedistal..
Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

UPDATE!

So I go to adjust the valves right? Well at least now I know why it ran like complete *** this morning unlike the first startup.

#4 intake pushrod is ******* gone!!! Great, time to spill some fuel while pulling the intake manifold, I am very unhappy. Going out and hoping I can get the thing without pulling the intake, but its unlikely.

Quick Reply: Wow, it started!