LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

does my dot to dot look right?? for my timing

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does my dot to dot look right?? for my timing

(if you can see) i think its lined up pretty good but idk...

this is the first time i've removed or reinstalled a cam and im not sure if its even right. i didnt personally build the engine in the first place. i had the cam pin swapped and am now reinstalling it.

so i got the dot to dot as close as i could and i think its good. then after i started taking pics...for here...to see what you guys think.. i saw another dot on the crank gear....th the left about three teeth and higher up (closer to the point, where as the other dot ...the one im using is lower...closer to the center of the gear) so im gettin kind of unsure about it...

to me all of the pics suck these r the best ones i got . thanks for looking i just want some other input and srry if u cant even see....
Old 10-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Teching In

hey go or blow, thats about all you can do. haha . but yea dot to dot looks okay to me. another easy way to do that on a small block is put the cam gear at the top and the crank gear at the top with the #1 piston at TDC and the you hold a straight edge to the dots. that just easier for me to do. but if you do that the distributor will be 180 degrees out. because cyl number 6 will TDC on the compression stroke then.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Launching!

ok thanks alot for your input. and you were saying that is for a normal sbc only correct??

because on an lt1 there is no way to flip the dist. 180 out... correct??

also what would happen if its wrong....

it wither wont start or will bang up valves right...?? or break them..?

thanks alott
Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by danmathews
hey go or blow, thats about all you can do. haha .
Sorry but I will disagree totally with this statement. If you want to be 100% certain then degree the cam. I can degree mine in 20 minutes.

If its wrong it runs like *** and you are going to be tearing it down again assuming nothing goes boom.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
If you want to be 100% certain then degree the cam. I can degree mine in 20 minutes.

If its wrong it runs like *** and you are going to be tearing it down again assuming nothing goes boom.
Exactly. Screw the dots.
Make sure that when the crank is TDC, the cam is exactly where it is supposed to be.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM
Launching!

ive never done any of this before so any and all help is appreciated any locals make house calls?? lol

o and i just read a thread asking if anyone degreed theyre cam...it was linked to compcams explaining it and i still didnt really get it. well i did but i dont know if it can be done the way i was doing it.

its solid roller with double springs so i had to remove the rockers and push rods to turn the cam to where it needs to be. before that i had installed the chain (knowingly in the wrong spot...)just to use the starter to use the crank to turn the cam...BUT....it was on a spring where it needed to be so it kept bouncing it back so i took it all apart and turned the cam and crank both by hand...and lined it up the best i could i hate this i hate guessing..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

little advice on the camera, find the little flower looking thing on there somewhere and turn it on for close up pics.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Teching In

oh yea. is an LT1 thread. lost my head, but i found it, it was in my ***. lol dont like giving bad advice. hahaha