LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Who has deleted their oil filter bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Who has deleted their oil filter bypass?

Just wondering if anyone else out there has deleted their oil filter bypass?

This is my current understanding of why auto makers use it per Wikipedia:
If you wait too long to change the oil and oil filter, there is a danger that the oil filter might become plugged. To prevent a plugged oil filter from starving the engine for lubrication, oil filters have a built-in safety device called a "bypass valve." When the differential pressure across the oil filter element exceeds a predetermined value (which varies depending on the engine application), the bypass valve opens so oil can continue to flow to the engine. But when the bypass valve is open, no filtration occurs.

The bypass valve also opens when a cold engine is first started. Cold oil can be fairly thick and may not pass through the filter element very easily. So the bypass valve opens and allows the oil to go around the filter until the oil warms up and flows more easily. During this time, any contaminants that are in the crankcase may be sucked up through the oil pump and bypass the filter, causing increased engine wear and possibly engine damage. Once the oil gets warm and the bypass valve closes, oil flows through the filter and normal filtration resumes.

I always change the oil properly so there will never be an issue with the filter plugging up. I simply want all my oil going through the filter.

Who else has done this? Who thinks it was a bad idea?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

mines been long gone!! No issues and gained a little psi in the oil dept.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

For performance it is a thing to do, for a stock DD i would never do it.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
For performance it is a thing to do, for a stock DD i would never do it.
Mine is not really a daily drive. Just an occasional fun car. I do let it warm up some when its cold out before driving.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are the type to stay on top of your maintenance then by all means it will not hurt you whatsoever. The sell the deletion kits but i cannot remember where i seen it last. Just replaces the stock unit with two bolts.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

you dont need to buy anything. Take yours apart and there are 2 bolts that hold it on. There basically studded bolts. They screw into the block then the studs hold on the actual cooler. Well take everything spart and just cut off the stud part and just make it a reg. bolt. Bolt it all back toghter and your ready to roll. FREE MOD!!! I did it and it works just fine and not "redneck" at all, lol.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You know that is not the only bypass in the system right?

If there is something so bad in the oil that it getting through the bypass would be catastrophic then things are already coming apart.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bypass is built into the filter......some cheap *** filters dont have them.....oil goes into the filter period....but if its too thick or too dirty instead of it flowing throught the filter element and into the center of the filter and back up into the engine it will flow through the bypass in the filter....what type of ghetto redneck mod is this? dirty oil is better then no oil........leave it alone the benifits (i really dont see any) are no way near worth the risk......
Old 11-02-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Judging by some of the posts here people are getting confused with the factory oil cooler and the oil bypass in the filter. They are two different things.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

speaking of all this, anyone have the GM part # to a non cooler filter pad? guys that have to delete the cooler for the LT headers what did you do?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cut the dowels off the head of the bolt an d removed the cooler, then ran a piece of 5/8 heater hose as a bypass to the cooler. you can use a "non bypass" oil filter adapter from a SBC to kill the bypass.

Quick Reply: Who has deleted their oil filter bypass?