LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What do you all think about porting heads and intake?

Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you all think about porting heads and intake?

i am wanting to port and polish my heads and intake and want to know if you will see any good gains... i want to hear what some ppl have seen on here doing this... any info will be nice... thanks.....
Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know what gains people have gotten when THEY'RE the ones porting, but if you have lots of experience and know what you're doing, then you should see fairly decent gains from it. The majority of us have someone like Lloyd Elliot do it (Me not included in that, but if I had the money I'd send mine to him)
Old 11-01-2008, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with fully ported stock heads and intake with a nice cam with all the bolt ons etc, u could see 450rwhp on a stock bottom end
Old 11-01-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1996camaross
i am wanting to port and polish my heads and intake and want to know if you will see any good gains... i want to hear what some ppl have seen on here doing this... any info will be nice... thanks.....
(from my perspective) i would definitely port my own intake, but i dont know if i would port the heads. i wouldnt have any problems porting iron heads, but i am a little bit finnicky with aluminum (especially heads).

the valve job and fitting bigger valves would be the worst part i would imagine.

i would give the intake a shot for sure if you are going to pull it off. i dont think you would see enough of a gain relative to the amount of work to pull the intake to make it worth it without porting the heads.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

icic... well in dec im planning on taking my heads and intake off and buying an throttle body... i have a guy around here that is pretty well known around here and he says he will port and polish my heads and intake and also put in new valves for around 650.... is it worth it? i have a huge cam which is a 242/248 duration...
Old 11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Has he done LT1 heads?? If yes and has a good rep then I would say its a good deal.
I had LE do mine since you know it will flow great!!! My buddy paid a place call E&R racing 5k to PP heads mild cam and a tune and only picked up 4 tenths.
Make sure they Do LT1 heads and ask for dyno numbers of happy customers.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

alright i will man thanks... o and im guessing with ported heads you can get bigger valves right?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can almost always put bigger valves in and improve flow..especially the valves with the cut underside which basically makes more room for the air to flow throught the throat. and like said.. make sure he is a reputable guy..anybody can port .. but you have to know where and how to increase airflow and not disturb it.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
you can almost always put bigger valves in and improve flow..especially the valves with the cut underside which basically makes more room for the air to flow throught the throat. and like said.. make sure he is a reputable guy..anybody can port .. but you have to know where and how to increase airflow and not disturb it.
VERY WELL STATED.

just by taking some off here and there doesnt mean it will perform better. it could easily make it worse or just about the same, potentially wasting money for no gain.

i would leave it to a pro (unless the guy you know has done alot of LT1 heads). AI or LE seem to be popular, even though i havent had any experiance with either.

AFR also manufactures new heads right out of the box.

i say go for the intake though and use common sense and polish it up nicely.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

icic... and yea this guy has done plenty of lt1 396 strokers etc... i just want the best air flow possible with out spending 2,500 on afr heads... if i had the money thats the only way i would go.... afr or trick flow!

Search this Thread