LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

header heated

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header heated

just finished installing a set of pacesetter lt's last night on my buddy's 96 z28 he currently has no money for x or y pipe so he is running them open. went to bleed his coolant this morning and at idle the car is running hot as hell. wil not having any type if exhaust cause this or is it another problem with this thing..waterpumpo? help gurus..................
Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

yea it will make the car run hott, back pressure actually helps the engine disappate (sp terribly) but to answer your question yes the open headers will make the car run hotter, especially because alot of the heat is being let out just behind the engine bay and right next to the tranny. full exhaust systems allow the hottest air to exit the rear of the car and there for more of the heat is directed farther from the engine and engine bay and tranny for that matter.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

but if i drive the car that should eliminate some temp right? just dont want to overheat this b%$^& on the way to the exhaust shop
Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

yea once the car is moving and some air is getting to the radiator other than the air the fan is blowing on it, it should cool down.

but first when you say running warm is it like right before over heating or even near for that matter? or just running a little hotter than normal?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

sitting at idle for about 10-15 minutes the top heat was around 210-220 degrees. not in the red yet but i shut it off before it got there. if it even was going to get there didnt want to find out though.....anyone else care to give their 2 cents?????
Old 11-05-2008, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

well my car used to come pretty close to the red before i got mine tuned and what not. plus the secondary fan turns on at something like 220 so it might not have even gone above that, but yea wait for someone else to give ya some info i'd say your good to just drive to the exhaust shop though.

Quick Reply: header heated