LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what is wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what is wrong?

since i went through heavy rain (and the car stalled for about 10 mins) my car has been not starting for a minute. you put the key in and turn it but nothing happens. then finally after a minute the car starts. what is up with this? also, during the middle of the night (my dad heard it too so i wasn't dreaming) my car beaps twice. what is this? does a 96 camaro have a motion triggered alarm so maybe a falling acorn would trigger it? my car is a stock 96 camaro ss if that does any difference.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

anybody with any answers?
Old 11-10-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car acted like that after a storm and i think the opti was wet. i dried it out and its been fine since...
Old 11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

i was thinking that but i wasn't sure. also, any ideas on what makes the horn beep twice?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like the motion sensor alarm.If you have one it will be in the rear pass. side near the spare its a little black box on a spring like metal band w/ a adjustment ****.My car sits in the garage and during a thunderstorm i heard my horn beep twice from the vibration of the thunder.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Try to blow the OPTI dry with a Compressor..
Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

02ss you were right. i went out and knocked on the rear quarter and the horn blasted twice. also, i don't really know anything about these opti's except they suck, but can't you not get at them without taking a lot apart.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by the_merv
thats what i did except with a hair drier... lol
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

The little black alarm box on mine has an adjustment **** on it so you can turn the sensitivity up or down. I'll assume thats a stock item and they all have this ****?? Its not a "motion" alarm in the way of seeing something. It only senses vibrations from something bumping or tapping on the car. If your getting alot of false alarm beeps, obvoiusly turn the sensitivity down. Its a trial and error thing since there's not really a way to see how much you turned it up or down. Adjust it a bit and then close the hatch, set the alarm and tap your hand on the opposite side of the car to check if its better.

As for your car not starting... Did you blow through some deep water or just drive in heavy rain??? Rain should not cause any problems. But if you were trying to water ski over the deep spots then, you may have gotten the opti wet I guess. Try drying it out like these guys say. I never had it happen to me though. Did it stall when it got wet or did you continue to drive it home and didn't know there was a problem till the next day? Were there any codes that you know of? Might try resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery too.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

i was driving through heavy rain and it stalled when i was going slow at a stop sign. then it wouldn't start for 15 mins. also, i didn't check for the security light but i will. and lastly, i see you have a 96 ss as well, it says you have 316 hp, do you have any mods? it says stock but these only have 310hp. also, i don't know if you know how rare your car is but you can find out through this link. mine's 1 of 16.

http://photos.imageevent.com/davidha..._Breakdown.pdf
Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 96 technically shouldn't be effected by rain, small puddles and driving mist like the previous models. Since it's vented and all, but if there's a break in the vent tube or a sealing issue, then it's easily possible seeing as it pretty much sounds exactly what has happened (we opti).

And no, there's no easy way to get at the opti w/o taking a bunch of crap apart, sorry.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

optis are about a 4 hr job all together if you know what your doing and get in there and do it...is your spark erradic?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
not a good idea, it may get the majority of the water out, but it still leaves some moisture, a by-product of compressing air is water.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black96z28
not a good idea, it may get the majority of the water out, but it still leaves some moisture, a by-product of compressing air is water.
Me thinks you've never used a properly set up air system huh? That's what they make the inline water separator filters for
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula350
Me thinks you've never used a properly set up air system huh? That's what they make the inline water separator filters for
yeah, i know about those, but for an average joe who runs to sears to buy a compressor, may not think to get one. No, i dont personally have one on my air compressor setup, but it is a relatively small system, when i expand to a bigger compressor, i may actually install one.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the normal Compressor, but I don't have anything on the Car that is moisture-sensitive..
Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Black96z28
yeah, i know about those, but for an average joe who runs to sears to buy a compressor, may not think to get one. No, i dont personally have one on my air compressor setup, but it is a relatively small system, when i expand to a bigger compressor, i may actually install one.
I'm an average joe, and if I had air tools and/or a compressor that could feed them, I'd put on a cheap air-water separator to prolong the life of the air tools. Now, want to see water in the air? Check out those air compressors you use to put air in your tires Good thing liquid is a fairly decent balancer (they actually make a fine grain sand like material for off road tires that works really well).

Quick Reply: what is wrong?