LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 edit software. questions and opinions for OBD 2.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 edit software. questions and opinions for OBD 2.

i was considering picking up LT1 edit so i could do some tuning. i have a few questions however.

i have done a substantial amount of reading on it and have heard some mixed reviews.

how user friendly is it?

how is the datalogging?

after some practice will i be able to attain similar results to a mail order tune?

would it work converting the rs232 port to usb connection?

would i need a wideband O2 sensor for AFR readings? gauge? or would it plug in to the software?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lt1edit does not datalog and you will need a wideband for safety. Somebody with the know-how can tune a car in person alot better than a mail order.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

I have LT1 Edit for obd 1 but I would imagine that they are similar. I have also done a ton of reading and everything but I still cant do as good as a tunner. I would recomend it tho it is a fun software and it is very helpful for many things throughout your modding progress. I am still learning new things it has.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Funkybird
Lt1edit does not datalog and you will need a wideband for safety. Somebody with the know-how can tune a car in person alot better than a mail order.
that is what i thought regarding the wideband. i will be able to disable all emissions stuff as well correct?

egr/air/disable rear O2's if i go with an O/R setup.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Funkybird

Mine does datalog tho,,,,,,,,, it is part of lt1edit.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ls1Bait
Mine does datalog tho,,,,,,,,, it is part of lt1edit.
wait... does it datalog or not? i am confused now...
Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine does not datalog, maybe they have updated the software? I havent ever heard that before?
Yes you can disable all the emissions stuff.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT1 Edit does NOT, NOT, NOT datalog. It is a piece of crud that has not been, and will never be, updated.
I use a USB to serial conveter and it is O.K.
I use Autotap for data logging, and its support is minimal also.
If I had it to do over again, I would get the software now marketed by Jet, formerly called Tunercat.
LT1 Edit sucks.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Ouch! hehe...

Well, I dont think it sucks but, its support is only going to be from other people that have experience with it. Whichever setup you buy into for tuning, just know that logging what YOUR car is doing and customizing the tune around that will beat a mail order tune all day. I dont mean to take away from the mail order guys, they are good at what they do and can get you very close. Every car is slightly different and every change needs to be tested and logged so that you can see if your spot on or in need of more tweaks.

I have LT1edit for obdII and it does not datalog. I too, use autotap for that. Sucks having to switch between cables and programs BUT, I do what I gotta do.

A wideband is a much needed tool for proper tuning but, you can accomplish a lot of things and get yourself going without it at first. Ultimately, you will need one and it helps to figure out a way to input it to your logging software so you can compare it to other sensor readings.

USB to Serial converter from comp USA, staples, office max.... will work just fine.

There's a good thread on the LTXtech forum that has alot of links to tuning info that might help you out. check here:

Helpful LTX tuning links and details
Old 11-13-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hyperzone
^^^ Ouch! hehe...

Well, I dont think it sucks but, its support is only going to be from other people that have experience with it. Whichever setup you buy into for tuning, just know that logging what YOUR car is doing and customizing the tune around that will beat a mail order tune all day. I dont mean to take away from the mail order guys, they are good at what they do and can get you very close. Every car is slightly different and every change needs to be tested and logged so that you can see if your spot on or in need of more tweaks.

I have LT1edit for obdII and it does not datalog. I too, use autotap for that. Sucks having to switch between cables and programs BUT, I do what I gotta do.

A wideband is a much needed tool for proper tuning but, you can accomplish a lot of things and get yourself going without it at first. Ultimately, you will need one and it helps to figure out a way to input it to your logging software so you can compare it to other sensor readings.

USB to Serial converter from comp USA, staples, office max.... will work just fine.

There's a good thread on the LTXtech forum that has alot of links to tuning info that might help you out. check here:

Helpful LTX tuning links and details

thanks for the links and info.

so pick up autotap for sure, that will be nice as time goes on.

i have a question regarding autotap...
would i be able to use autotap with an aftermarket wideband O2?

with the LT1 edit and autotap would there be anything else i would need?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use to have LT1edit, it worked well for me, no complaints

I used Datamaster to log runs, very user friendly also
Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

still one more question...

would i be able to use autotap with an aftermarket wideband O2?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's ways to rig it so that you can use a wideband input with autotap.... I've been told you can hook it up to the AC pressure sensor. I dont have a wideband yet so, I haven't researched the specifics. But, if you did that, you would then setup autotap to monitor the AC pressure readings and have to just know that its actually your wideband. Someone else will have to chime in about making a wideband work with autotap. There is other data logging software as well... and some are free or damn near it compared to autotap so, wouldn't hurt to try some of them first and find out if it works for you... Also, I think some of the wideband kits come with stuff for you do logging with. Definitely use the search and look at wideband info and how people are doing their logging...
Old 11-14-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hyperzone
There's ways to rig it so that you can use a wideband input with autotap.... I've been told you can hook it up to the AC pressure sensor.
could anybody confirm that for me?

if not how reliable is it with the factory narrow band sensor?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

bump for the night crew...
Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry for the question but, where could I pick up this LT1 edit and learn more information about it?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

LT1edit : http://www.carputing.com/

AutoTap : http://www.autotap.com/

Do a search on here for it and check the other forums. Here's a link to some Helpful LTx tuning links and details

Quick Reply: lt1 edit software. questions and opinions for OBD 2.