LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A little help needed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A little help needed!!!!

Ok guys im getting to were about im wrapping my motor up... I have a few questions, went out to the machine shop yesterday were my motor is being assembled.... I think im missing some parts.... Cant figure out what goes between my cam and the opti spark as far as what mechanism drives the opti of the cam.... the cam has a long dial pin on it, and the opti has a hole in the center of it with splines.... so I dont really know, and also i cant get my opti spark to set flush on my timing cover...
any input would be helpful!!!!
thanks!
Old 11-13-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not 100% sure on the non vented style but its just cam, cam gear, timing cover, optispark. the dowel pin on the cam drives the opti.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Sounds like you have the wrong cam for the opti you are using, 93-94 is the splined shaft type opti and the 95-97 use the pin type that you described you have, not good if you do, they can not be used together, no way no how, tell your engine builder to get the right version cam shaft 93-94 only, with the splined hole in it.

It's that! or buy a newer version opti with the correct timing cover and timing chain sprocket for this cam version you have.

Sorry for the bad news but that what it looks like.

Also there is a shaft you insert in the opti that engages the hole on the correct version cam
Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

thanks for the help.... i guess i just need to get another opti spark!!!! thanks guys, anyone have any for sale!!!?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamingChicken
not 100% sure on the non vented style but its just cam, cam gear, timing cover, optispark. the dowel pin on the cam drives the opti.
I'm not sure either, but I thought the drive dowel (not the long one for the timing gear) was pressed into the center of the cam :S But this picture says otherwise.

Unless inside the cam hole is splined (for use splined Opti guys), I don't get how the later years work though

I have to say, after looking at all of this, I'm surprised no one has devised a way to relocate the opti via a chain drive heh Or if you run an EWP, to utilize it's drive setup to move it elsewhere :\
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Ok its been awhile...but I think it comes down to the timing chain sprocket, whether it is splined with key. B/c i believe 95-97 cam can be used in a non-vented opti by cutting the dowel pin
Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't need a new cam or the newer vented opti stuff. There is a specific length the nonvented dowel needs to be compared to the vented, I can't remember the length but I'm sure a search would pull it up. You can measure it and if it's too long you can either grind it down or hit it with a mallet to knock it down some. Also you need the spline that goes into the opti and cam.
http://shbox.com/1/93-94_opti.jpg
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

damn...you beat me. ha, I was searching for that pic
Old 11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I'm a frequent visitor to his site! It's helped me tons of times. I still don't know how he says the opti won't sit flush on the timing cover if he doesn't have the splined shaft itself?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

I'm guessing the pin is sticking through the cam sprocket and preventing it from seating correctly, since he more than likely has the longer 95-97 dowl pin
Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

I read it as he doesn't have the splined shaft at all to connect the opti and cam. I could be wrong though.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

yes thats correct, however since the underneath of the non-vented splined opti doesn't have "clearance" for the dowl rod as it is not centeral located
Old 11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

95-97 opti bottom http://shbox.com/1/opti_back.jpg
Old 11-13-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I understood that part but I just didn't see why he would mount it up without the shaft that actually connects the two.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like has already been stated, albeit not 100% clearly, you have a cam from a vented opti car and an opti from a non-vented car.

The dowel pin needs to be either cut or pressed in to about .3125" (5/16") to work with the non-vented opti. This ensures that it sticks into the cam sprocket, but doesn't protrude into the back of the opti, which is what is causing the opti not to sit flush. Then you need the splined shaft linked above.

The splined shaft does have a key, and it WILL go on incorrectly. Make sure you know where the keys are in the cam sprocket and opti before you try to install it. And I would suggest starting the car before installing the water pump, just in case you don't get it right.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

thanks so much guys.... you all really have gave me a lot of responses.... ill try and get pics of my opti, cam, and timing cover!!! But as far as the opti not fitting flush on the timing cover i dont know.... Im trying to set it on there flush with it all of the motor, the timing cover is not even bolted to the motor yet :0.... so as for why it isnt sitting flush on the cover i dont know lol... and the opti and cam .... the opti came off a 94 z... and i bout all my short block from another guy that i have re worked and i believe he may have been running new opti and all on it as for why the dial pin is on the crank.... but if you looked at the back of my opti all i have is a whole with splines in it!.... so i belive i will just find a 95-97 opti!!! but im still confused on why the opti wont fit flush on the timing cover, could it be because the timing covers may be diff for the two diff optis..... all the bolt holes line up and all but for some reason the center chunk of the opti just dont want to sit in flush... do i need to apply any amount of pressure on the opti to the timing cover to press it into the new seal thats in the timing cover/???? Just some thoughts!

thanks alot again guys!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, there are two different timing covers, one for each style opti. The vented style has a much larger hole than the non-vented. The non-vented style hole would be just a little larger than the spline drive itself.

You have a few mismatched parts. So far it seems you have a vented style cam, non-vented opti, and vented style timing cover.

You have two options as far as optis go and here's what you'll need to make sure either style will work.

Non-vented- You will need a non-vented timing cover, cut or press the dowel pin to 5/16", and purchase the splined drive. Edit- Does your cam gear have splines like the opti?

Vented- You will need the vented opti with the hoses, and you're probably ok with the cam, but you'd better make sure it's a later model cam with the large hole in the center, otherwise the opti will not fit.

Last edited by RoAdRaGe912; 11-14-2008 at 04:23 AM. Reason: cam gear
Old 11-14-2008, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

the cam nor does the timing gear have splines so i think im ok.... the cam does have a hole in the end up for the opti to push into!!!! These darn optis lol i swear there a handful....
thanks again

Quick Reply: A little help needed!!!!