LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions

hey guys...looking to buy a 94 lt1 caprice motor that comes with the computer and harness for 250 bucks. did any of the caprice motors come with a 4 bolt block or just the 2 bolt? i'm looking to build it into a 355 or 383 in the future and dropping it into my 97 ss so i can let the original motor hang out in the corner till i'm ready to put her back to stock. can you also tell me what i'd need to do to get that motor ready to drop in and turn the key?
Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you'll want to find out if it's a 4.3L or a 5.7L LT1. You'll have to check the block to find that out, there's a stamp on it and it says 43 (or 4.3) on the back by the bell housing. I believe it's drivers side. Or also I think there is stamped info on the front drivers side as well, but I'm not sure how accessable it is w/o taking stuff off. The heads will be cast iron, so keep that in mind. Won't be able to port them out much at all, but they do flow quite better than the aluminums due to being almost like a cast iron version of the LT4s. The block is 4bolt though, but it doesn't really matter. If you're going to make a ton of power, might as well do aftermarket caps anyways w/ splayed mains. That setup with by OBD1, keep that in mind, not that it's all that much of a problem considering lots of people convert to OBD1. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If it's a 4.3 though, you don't want it. If you feel adventurous though, the crank in a 5.7 would make a cool de-stroker that could rev really high
Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks formula. according to the guy its a 5.7. its on ebay. i know, ebay sucks, lol. but its 250 bucks and he has it advertised as a 5.7 so if i go to pick it up and its not then i'll get my money back. i'd put different heads on it anyway so that's not a big problem. i'll be sure to look for the stamps on it to make sure before i load it or anything