LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Noise when changing gears?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise when changing gears?

Okay guys, stats are in my sig...

If i change gears (any gear), i hear this light clunk noise coming from the tranny area. It also happens if i let off the gas and then go hard on the gas.

Any ideas? Tranny mounts?
Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

anyone?
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea tranny mount can do it!! jack it up and get under there and see if your tranny mount is tore all up....also check all your lugnuts one of your rims might be loose...i know farfetched but ive had it happen before and its good to double check!! better to be safer tahn sry..you wouldnt want a wheel flying off that could cause lots of damage!! studs could break/get bent, could tear your 1/2 panel up bad, also could break your rotor coming off....just check some of the possibilties...use process of elimation on this
Old 11-17-2008, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like a Tranny Mount..
Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the_merv
i know but ya never know....

thats what im leaning to but i just dont want him to change it and still have the prob and it end up being his lugs
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jarretthise
yea tranny mount can do it!! jack it up and get under there and see if your tranny mount is tore all up....also check all your lugnuts one of your rims might be loose...i know farfetched but ive had it happen before and its good to double check!! better to be safer tahn sry..you wouldnt want a wheel flying off that could cause lots of damage!! studs could break/get bent, could tear your 1/2 panel up bad, also could break your rotor coming off....just check some of the possibilties...use process of elimation on this
I seriously doubt it's a wheel, but i guess i'll tighten them up just for kicks.

It does, i'm new with F-bodies, where do i find the tranny mount(s) on the tranny?

as a replacement, how does this look?

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=894

should i stay oem, or go polyurethane? i had polyurethane rear trailing arm bushings on my E36 M3 and it really tightened up the rear suspension.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 AM
11 Second Club

That's a good replacement, any of the Poly ones are.

As far as where it's located.. get under your Car and find the back of the Transmission. Then look at the big ugly piece of black metal that's got 2 Bolts on each end of it, and one in the middle. That is your Tranny Cross Member, and that will have to come off to get to that Mount. The Center Bolt in that Crossmember is the bottom of the Mount, and when the Cross Member comes off, you will see 2 Bolts in the Transmission that hold the Mount to that. Remove then to change the Mount. Make sure you have the Transmission supported before you take that Cross Member off.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

That's a good replacement, any of the Poly ones are.

As far as where it's located.. get under your Car and find the back of the Transmission. Then look at the big ugly piece of black metal that's got 2 Bolts on each end of it, and one in the middle. That is your Tranny Cross Member, and that will have to come off to get to that Mount. The Center Bolt in that Crossmember is the bottom of the Mount, and when the Cross Member comes off, you will see 2 Bolts in the Transmission that hold the Mount to that. Remove then to change the Mount. Make sure you have the Transmission supported before you take that Cross Member off.
thanks so much for the info! how do i go about diagnosing the tranny mount though? all signs point to it, but how can i be sure? any tips for supporting the tranny? any the torque specs for the cross member bolts?

I also read these instructions that don't involve removing the cross member:

# Raise and support the car with jack stands.
# Remove the 15mm nut from the tranny mount stud.
# Use a 2x4 at least the width of the transmission pan on top of your jack and raise the transmission a few inches.
# Remove the two 14mm bolts from the mount to the transmission.
# Remove the mount, if it can’t be removed raise the transmission higher and try again.
# Install the new mount using the original 14mm bolts to the transmission and either the supplied cross member to mount bolts or the original 15mm bolt.
# Torque the bolts to spec.
# Return the car to the ground and go for a drive.

how does this sound?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 AM
11 Second Club

That's about the same, but it takes all of 5 sec to remove and put the Mount back with the Air Gun..and you get more room.

Put the front of the Car up on Jackstands, and get a Jack under the Tranny with a piece of wood, and use that to support the Transmission. If you have access to a Shop with a Drive-on Lift, then that will help alot.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you have a tranny jack that would be better...i said i doubt its the wheel too but better safe than sry ya know....

to diagnose it just look and see if its beaten up...its pretty noticable if its bad as your talking about

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise when changing gears?