LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 hates life i guess

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 hates life i guess

i do everything to this engine to make it a nice home and it bites me in the butt.

New CAI, Tranny, clutch, and hydralics, new ROyal Purple fluids, new aluminum DS, a CAM Headers, throttle sensor radiator, water pump, hoses, rear end. and now it decides to start burning away that beautiful purple oil i gave it...

i have no idea why its burning its oil. any suggestions. Give me a list of evrything that can go wrong please...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is smoking?

valve seals, pcv valve, piston rings.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most likely the fact that the oil is a thinner (not in weight) and seeping past the seals/gaskets. That's what happens to lots of higher mileage engines when a new owner switches to a synthetic oil. While it might not be true on the newer motors, I generally go by if it's been a convention oil engine past 40K miles, that I keep it a conventional oil engine.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:51 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

How many miles are on the engine?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Teching In

miles=156k. ya alot.

and it is burning the oil with white exhaust smoke
Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xXColbyXx
miles=156k. ya alot.

and it is burning the oil with white exhaust smoke
Oil = blue smoke. Coolant = white. And make sure its not smoking because it's cold out
Old 11-19-2008, 08:45 AM
Teching In

well i was told by a fellow SS driver that i am burning oil based on my smoke. my friend ian told me that and i checked my dipstick. and... nothing on it. so i put new oil in it. then my dipstick says wayyyy too much. so i drain the excess. idk whats going on..
Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well it could be burning some and maybe by chance the car is running too rich so the blue and slight black is making an offset white. Just a guess lol Does the car leave puddles anywhere? I would put in your every day conventional Valvoline/Castrol (or cheap brand if you feel like it for this test) 10w-30 and see how that fairs. If you want, give the Max Life (or equal type High Mileage oil) a try. It's helped some of my vehicles before slow the leak. Can also give Lucas Oil a try (their addatives) for older engines, they make good stuff.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:07 PM
In-Zane Moderator

It happens when a car is beat to hell and back allot, it just simply wears the engine out, rings are not the everlasting component of a V8. Just build another motor then swap it out.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
It happens when a car is beat to hell and back allot, it just simply wears the engine out, rings are not the everlasting component of a V8. Just build another motor then swap it out.
Isn't that kind of jumping over all the diagnosing, right to extreme circumstances? You left out doing compression checks, to looking at the plugs and checking all the wires (ohming them out, not that I can offer advice on that as I'm not sure what the ideal resistance is. Aftermarket ones say how many ohms/ft they are.) and a slew of possible other components. Could be bad gas with a bit more water than usual and it's just causing steam.

Given we don't know where he lives, all sorts of possibilities. The 'no oil on the dipstick' could (no offense dude) be completely user error. If it was burning oil THAT fast, it would be puffing out thick blue smoke like mad.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

IDk if it was burning that much oil it would look like a smoke screen everywhere you went.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:44 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Formula350
Isn't that kind of jumping over all the diagnosing, right to extreme circumstances? You left out doing compression checks, to looking at the plugs and checking all the wires (ohming them out, not that I can offer advice on that as I'm not sure what the ideal resistance is. Aftermarket ones say how many ohms/ft they are.) and a slew of possible other components. Could be bad gas with a bit more water than usual and it's just causing steam.

Given we don't know where he lives, all sorts of possibilities. The 'no oil on the dipstick' could (no offense dude) be completely user error. If it was burning oil THAT fast, it would be puffing out thick blue smoke like mad.

Just mentioning one of the possibilities of a sports car, they get ragged out, some way more than others.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

i would do compression check, if the piston rings are bad just buy a shortblock or another lt1 motor for couple hundred or build a nice 355 bottom end