LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car Hop Skip and Jumping when turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Hop Skip and Jumping when turning

Below I have listed what I have for a rear end in my car, the car also has a locker so I know a little bit of skipping when turning at slow speeds is natural. But all of a sudden it has gotten way worse. The car skips, and vibrates violently when turning. I checked, everything I can think of other then turning a wrench looking inside. (Which I don't want to do right now as this is my only car) Anyone have any ideas or suggestions before I start tearing into the rear end of my car.

-Moser 12 bolt rear end with larger 33 spline axles, full spool, upgraded performance cover with main cap studs, 4.10 gears, and a 1350 yoke.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

there is definatly a problem with the spool. It may not be disengaging like it was designed to.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
there is definatly a problem with the spool. It may not be disengaging like it was designed to.

Am i missing something , how does a solid piece of metal disingage?? You have a solid unit right out through the axles, there are no clutches, so nothing should give but the tires, please explain.

Last edited by LM97Z; 11-21-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
Below I have listed what I have for a rear end in my car, the car also has a locker so I know a little bit of skipping when turning at slow speeds is natural. But all of a sudden it has gotten way worse. The car skips, and vibrates violently when turning. I checked, everything I can think of other then turning a wrench looking inside. (Which I don't want to do right now as this is my only car) Anyone have any ideas or suggestions before I start tearing into the rear end of my car.

-Moser 12 bolt rear end with larger 33 spline axles, full spool, upgraded performance cover with main cap studs, 4.10 gears, and a 1350 yoke.
Is the tranny mount ok? mine does have some skipping on sharper turns, but its nothing abnormal for a spool, when you say it vibrates, what exactly is vibrating? Is it the rearend/car, if i go too tight on mine & the tire pressure is up, it'll acted different & more aggressive, make sure nothing has come loose in the suspension back there, this could be causeing issues not related to the rearend, but the spool will let you know.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your ring and pinion is goin out!! need to get that checked out..you might have some chipped teeth in there and need new gears, spool, r&p...your rearend needs to be tore down mst likely
Old 11-21-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LM97Z
Is the tranny mount ok? mine does have some skipping on sharper turns, but its nothing abnormal for a spool, when you say it vibrates, what exactly is vibrating? Is it the rearend/car, if i go too tight on mine & the tire pressure is up, it'll acted different & more aggressive, make sure nothing has come loose in the suspension back there, this could be causeing issues not related to the rearend, but the spool will let you know.
Nothing is lose, Suspension wise. Tranny mounts are nice and tight, I was under there looking around and it seems the caps for the the bearings on the U Joint are missing for some damn reason. I can not tell if any bearings are gone. Do you think maybe a sloppy U Joint could cause it? I guess it just feels like the tires are gripping hard and making the cars rear end skip a bit.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jarretthise
sounds like your ring and pinion is goin out!! need to get that checked out..you might have some chipped teeth in there and need new gears, spool, r&p...your rearend needs to be tore down mst likely
God I hope not, I cant afford a new rearend right now. I am trying to sell my AsA Race Car as it is right now. Things are tight money wise, If so I might be calling the dealership up. They were the last people to touch the cars rear end when I had a complete change of fluids. I hate it when other people work on my car. But I just did not have the time to do it myself.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK,97,T/A,M-6
A Spool is solid bro..
Old 11-21-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was under there looking around and it seems the caps for the the bearings on the U Joint are missing for some damn reason. I can not tell if any bearings are gone. Do you think maybe a sloppy U Joint could cause it? I guess it just feels like the tires are gripping hard and making the cars rear end skip a bit.
What caps are talking about? Are you talking about the cups that slide over the joint & hold the needle bearings? If its just dust/grease caps then no biggie, but you will need to install some, put the rearend in the air, put it in "N", crawl under & start wiggling the driveshaft, make sure the u-joints are good & tight, if they are sloppy, then you found your problem. On any spooled car, you really need to avoid tight turns as much as possible, don't put yourself in that situation, even if you need to back up, then go foward, then back again, DO IT, spools have no give, your going to get some motion on tighter turns, thats normal, running lower tire pressure & 15" wheels helps too, the more sidewall you have, the less you'll feel on turns, so get to checking them joints lol.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What caps are talking about? Are you talking about the cups that slide over the joint & hold the needle bearings? If its just dust/grease caps then no biggie, but you will need to install some, put the rearend in the air, put it in "N", crawl under & start wiggling the driveshaft, make sure the u-joints are good & tight, if they are sloppy, then you found your problem. On any spooled car, you really need to avoid tight turns as much as possible, don't put yourself in that situation, even if you need to back up, then go foward, then back again, DO IT, spools have no give, your going to get some motion on tighter turns, thats normal, running lower tire pressure & 15" wheels helps too, the more sidewall you have, the less you'll feel on turns, so get to checking them joints lol.

Yeah, the rubber caps that hold the needle bearings. She does feel a bit sloppy under there. I try to avoid tight turns as much as possible. But just making a right turn she seems to do it. I'm going to check everything out back there in the next few days. Ill post up with my results. Thanks guys
Old 11-23-2008, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Does the spool have a spider gear?????? That's what gives leniency in turns.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so I jacked the car up and crawled under the car, while checking bolts I found the top one holding the torque arm mount bracket was lose. I tightened it and it seemed to help for a little while. I am not sure what the hell is going on back there. Everything is good and tight. Also it seems like after driving for a while it does not seem as bad. But its still doing it worse then it should. Anyone's guess is as good as mine
Old 12-02-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Does the rear have a locker or a full spool? Your original post states it has both, which is not possible. A full spool will always turn funny because there is no spider gears, it's solid! When I blew the diff in my 10bolt, it did exactly what you are describing. The car hops and bucks when you make a sharp turn. If it has a locker, then it's not unlocking when you turn! Most likely you will have to pull it apart and inspect. If the u-joint is bad, it's going to vibrate like crazy when going down the road turning or not. Same with the tranny mount.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
Does the rear have a locker or a full spool? Your original post states it has both, which is not possible. A full spool will always turn funny because there is no spider gears, it's solid! When I blew the diff in my 10bolt, it did exactly what you are describing. The car hops and bucks when you make a sharp turn. If it has a locker, then it's not unlocking when you turn! Most likely you will have to pull it apart and inspect. If the u-joint is bad, it's going to vibrate like crazy when going down the road turning or not. Same with the tranny mount.

Full Spool, sorry Im in the bad habit of saying locker . Tranny mount is solid. It was the Torque bar mount on the tranny. Thanks for the reply
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Full Spool, sorry Im in the bad habit of saying locker . Tranny mount is solid. It was the Torque bar mount on the tranny. Thanks for the reply
See how easy that was lol, soooo hows it act now??
Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See how easy that was lol, soooo hows it act now??
It still feels a bit more jumpy and lose back there then it did when I first bought the car. But as soon as I get some cash I will be replacing everything underneath with aftermarket. It snowed today so I had to garage my car .....fun run fun

Quick Reply: Car Hop Skip and Jumping when turning