LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How restrictive is the stock Camaro exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How restrictive is the stock Camaro exhaust?

I have a '93 z28 with the single cat, single muffler dual outlet setup, all stock. (except a cutout) I took it out to a custom exhaust shop in my city that has a very good reputation among the local car community. I bought headers and mufflers, and was prepared to have him install them, but when I was talking to him about having it all done, he told me that F bodies have 3 inch stock exhaust and that headers would give me minimal gains, and that there was no serious point in having an exhaust fabbed up. He also told me that there is NO way to run true duals on our cars.... I was shocked, I've seen pictures of it done.. I was really pissed, after having bought all this stuff and being told basically I was dumb. What do you guys think I should do, go to a different shop and get another opinion or just say screw it and stick with stock manifolds and get a catback?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ28
I have a '93 z28 with the single cat, single muffler dual outlet setup, all stock. (except a cutout) I took it out to a custom exhaust shop in my city that has a very good reputation among the local car community. I bought headers and mufflers, and was prepared to have him install them, but when I was talking to him about having it all done, he told me that F bodies have 3 inch stock exhaust and that headers would give me minimal gains, and that there was no serious point in having an exhaust fabbed up. He also told me that there is NO way to run true duals on our cars.... I was shocked, I've seen pictures of it done.. I was really pissed, after having bought all this stuff and being told basically I was dumb. What do you guys think I should do, go to a different shop and get another opinion or just say screw it and stick with stock manifolds and get a catback?
Headers are great for gains. but what are they ? long tubes ? shorties ? shorties arent worth it. mid and full length are very good. stock exhaust is 2 3/4" btw. any any aftermarket catback is Way better then stock. if you plan on running true duel you can but youll loose some ground clearance. you could try another shop and see what theyll say. but you can do whatever you want
Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

This seems to be a common occurrence. I myself have actually had it happen twice at different shops. Yes you can run duals, and yes the stock exhaust is 3" (2.75 actually), but that doesn't mean its not restrictive. Where the restrictions come in are the cast manifolds, the stock Y, and the stock muffler. Going from stock, A full exhaust on hour cars is worth ~30hp give or take.

EDIT: numbers above are with LTs. Sorry should have been clearer. Soxxpuppet is right though, shorties arent worth much.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Teching In

There pacesetter longtubes, and I have some single chamber high flow mufflers off Ebay.. Guess I'll just have to try other shops... how do they usually run the pipes? This guy said there was only room for one on the pass. side where the stock exhaust is.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ28
There pacesetter longtubes, and I have some single chamber high flow mufflers off Ebay.. Guess I'll just have to try other shops... how do they usually run the pipes? This guy said there was only room for one on the pass. side where the stock exhaust is.
pacesetter long tubes are very good. are they coated ? id suggest wrapping them or getting them coated before you dwell into the build. especially if you use the car on all days. do you have to run a cat in your state ? a single high flow cats good enough but if not no cat is even better. you could run a single 3" through pacsetters Y pipe and leave it single exhaust. it supports roughly around 400 hp like that. even tho duel exhaust is very nice
Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Not coated Im a broke college kid and that was about $150 more lol I'm looking at the Pacesetter Y pipe now, thats another $129.. No I don't have emissions thank god so Im not messing with a Cat... is there any point in spliting the exhaust around the rear axle into two pipes again or just get a muffler that branches them into two? The reason I say that is because i now have two 2 1/2'' mufflers that I really dont want to waste...
Old 12-01-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

you could id you really wanted to there are people that do that. when i did my custom exhaust i just had a single 3" in 3" out magnaflow and put a single tail pipe on the back. looks like a V6 you could always just dump the two right before the rear. itd be loud but sound awesome. there are pics all over

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...d-exhaust.html

post #14 there is what im talking about
Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they run true duals down the passenger side but with a smaller pipe diameter usually. you don't need try duals unless you are well over 400hp. a 3inch will flow just fine with no restriction. look up bassani exhausts....

ls1 but it shows how the pipes are run

ls1....
Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^ damn thats a real clean install! in jealous! lol
Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

So if i dumped them right before the rear axle they would'nt have to be wyed into each other? There is room to do this right? I really don't want to go back to this guy with another setup and have him shoot me down, that would be just plain bad
Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

If they seem to be able to do good work then take some prints over and show them. But try and get some pics of their work. I learned that one the hard way with my catted y. Good luck on the exhaust, you'll definitely enjoy it when it's done.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Yes, the stock manifolds are the most restrictive, then the cat, then the stock pipes behind the cat. If you are tight on money the best bang for you buck would be to install the Pacesetters and y-pipe. Just have a shop hook the y-pipe to your stock catback or get a new one.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
they run true duals down the passenger side but with a smaller pipe diameter usually. you don't need try duals unless you are well over 400hp. a 3inch will flow just fine with no restriction. look up bassani exhausts....

ls1 but it shows how the pipes are run

ls1....
Wow, that looks like a tight fit around the driveshaft and differential, looks like who ever did the work knew what they were doing. This is the first true-dual exhaust system I have seen go all the way past the axle.

Quick Reply: How restrictive is the stock Camaro exhaust?