LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Question

Old 12-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Question

Got a ?.. I have a 94 Trans-am 130000 easy miles on it. The car is super clean and has been well taken care of. Other than a booze bros. exhaust it remains stock. I am wanting to do a cam swap and i'm not sure what to go with or what all i need. It is a auto car and I am wanting something pretty rowdy. Any help would be helpful. Also I want to stay with the stock heads and I do have a 3200 converter?????
Old 12-03-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a really good thread that has been stickied at the top of the forum that has a lot of really good information. I am just finishing up gathering the parts for my cam swap and there are too many variables as everyone's situation is different. I have to pass emissions so i was bouncing back and forth between manufactureres trying to find a somewhat aggresssive cam that is emmisions friendly. All of the emmisions friendly cams are basically the lt4 hot cam but everyone has there own spin on it. I decided to go with Lunati because of their ramp speeds I figured I could get the most out of what I had to go with. Not too many people are running the Lunati and I wish I had installed the cam already so i could give you some solid feedback but as for a recommendation from me...Lunati looks the best on paper in my opinion.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a custom grind cam so it can be for YOU.
You'll want to replace the following with those miles.
Valve springs
Lifters
Pushrods
1.6rr
Opti (with it taken apart good time to do so)

You'll wanna let the car breath better with some long tubes and put a stall on the car while you're at it. It'll be a whole new car when it's all said and done.

Good Luck!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm workin on right now a cam swap and i decided to peice together the hot cam kit, already have the springs that i got for dirt cheap, getting a brand new cam from GM so i dont have to worry about lobe wear, and am thinkin about picking up some cheap pro-mag 1.6 rockers and should have everything for under 350 or so. Just a heads up you will need quite a few gaskets for the swap so plan in around 150 extra in gaskets to be safe. I also pulled the heads off to fix a head gasket (whole reason the build started) so i have to buy ARP head studs because its not too good to re-use the stockers.

Basically just make sure you plan everything out and get ur budget lined up before tearing it apart cause the little things add up trust me. Check the sticky for the most popular cam spec's. Anyother questions just post up and they will get answered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lt1 Question