LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

auto tap who likes/dislikes it and why?

Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto tap who likes/dislikes it and why?

i hate to keep posting these questions, but i am trying to get down to the bottom of it.

i am picking up the tuner c.a.t.s. (now marketed by jet). and need some scanning software so i can do some tuning.

on many threads i read i hear things like "auto tap is useless" "autotap sucks" etc.

i have watched many videos on it and it seems to do what they claim.

what are some the reasons people like it or dislike it and why? while others like it.

what are its weaknesses? what is a better alternative and why?

this is on a 96 OBD 2 Formula LT1 T56. and i am not converting to OBD 1.

PLEASE ONLY POST BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIANCE ONLY.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Auto tap, the 'manual' shifting that's in the newer cars? Or is it some TunerCATS option? I've only ever heard of the shifting mechanism, but then again I don't pay attention to OBD2 software.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Autotap for years, and here is my opinion:
On the plus sie:
It is very good for a general evaluation of your system. The enhanced parameters log things that service personnel can use to diagnose problems with the vehicle.
You can create and log tables of parameters, which can be exported to a comma delimited file. This file can then be imported into Excel for evaluation, analysis, and data crunching.
You can create gauges that you can watch real time. About 3 seems to be the limit on my laptop; after that they are too small for me to view easily.
You can create real-time graphs so you can watch the parameters of interest. For example, I watch my fuel trims and knock retard to see if there are any spikes.
You can read and clear Pcodes.
On the minus side:
Every time you start another session, you have to set the scaling of the parameters on the graph. Otherwise, it comes up with some non-useful limits, and basically your scaling is all wrong.
It is supposed to support playback of a log file for the graph; this seems to be hit or miss.
Some key parameters of interest for tuning (rather than diagnosis) of the system are not available. For example, injector duty cycle would be a real nice-to-have parameter. It ain't there.
Most critical (to me, anyway) is the inability to create a custom pid to import and sync up my wideband. You really need this for tuning, and you can't do it.

Just some things that come to mind, I am sure there are more.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I have used Autotap for years, and here is my opinion:
On the plus sie:
It is very good for a general evaluation of your system. The enhanced parameters log things that service personnel can use to diagnose problems with the vehicle.
You can create and log tables of parameters, which can be exported to a comma delimited file. This file can then be imported into Excel for evaluation, analysis, and data crunching.
You can create gauges that you can watch real time. About 3 seems to be the limit on my laptop; after that they are too small for me to view easily.
You can create real-time graphs so you can watch the parameters of interest. For example, I watch my fuel trims and knock retard to see if there are any spikes.
You can read and clear Pcodes.
On the minus side:
Every time you start another session, you have to set the scaling of the parameters on the graph. Otherwise, it comes up with some non-useful limits, and basically your scaling is all wrong.
It is supposed to support playback of a log file for the graph; this seems to be hit or miss.
Some key parameters of interest for tuning (rather than diagnosis) of the system are not available. For example, injector duty cycle would be a real nice-to-have parameter. It ain't there.
Most critical (to me, anyway) is the inability to create a custom pid to import and sync up my wideband. You really need this for tuning, and you can't do it.

Just some things that come to mind, I am sure there are more.
Hope this helps.
thanks for the info.
do you have the GM focused version or the general version?

i thought that you could adjust injector duty cycle?

also i was told that you could get a 0-5 volt sensor (wideband O2) connected with the airconditioning pressure or something so it could be used.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by impaled
thanks for the info.
do you have the GM focused version or the general version?
What you do is purchase the base version (useless parameter list) and then the enhanced parameters for the model you want (GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc.). I have the enhanced parameters for GM and Ford (my DD is a Focus).
i thought that you could adjust injector duty cycle?
It is a reader, not a writer. It only clears Pcodes, nothing more. And what I said was that it does not read injector duty cycles like HPTuners or EFILive.
also i was told that you could get a 0-5 volt sensor (wideband O2) connected with the airconditioning pressure or something so it could be used.
Possibly, if you did some rewiring on your wiring harness. HPTuners and EFILive allow you to directly input the wideband (through the serial port?). IDK, I don't use either app, but I know they make provisions for it, Autotap does not.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

"My" experience is close to KoolAid's. It is a "read" only scan software, no adjustments can be made.

I have the full version for GM. I do get 'updates" to download from their site but dumped that after finding AF was not included in newer version. I loaded my original disc that came with it.

The biggest problem with it is it crashes often when I do runs to scan. especially if you have a bunch of paramiters running. I make a new file for just the items my tuner wants when addressing problems I have.

converting to exel and sending spread sheets to my tuner has helped me dial that in, especially on my 383 mail order tune.

I have a USB adapter which works fine since my laptop does not have a parallel port.

It has proved to be a good "tool" for the $ but if you want to make any changes..buy something else.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wouldn't TunerPro R/T be a cheaper alternative then? $30 and has these features
Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Formula350
Wouldn't TunerPro R/T be a cheaper alternative then? $30 and has these features
This is almost a thread hijack, but not really, since we are all interested in the best scanning software for our "orphaned" 96-97 LT1s. Has anyone used this, or should a new thread be started? I have been looking for a quality alternative to Autotap, but have not seen any (until possibly now).
Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sadly, I can't offer much help on TunerPro :\ I've ONLY used it for my 2 EPROM cars, and really am not too sure how I stumbled on it in the first place haha I never tuned anything before, and I thought TunerPro was pretty damn straight forward. Much to my surprise, my TPI tune turned out well, ran just fine and even gave me a boost in power. When it came to do my 93, after ignorantly buying the ONLY year F-Body with a EPROM/ECM , I just basically copied what I did (not the information, just what I had done) from the TPI car onto this one. I deleted emissions and upped the injector size, but that was basically it. I've done more since, but haven't found anyone who would be willing to burn me a EPROM :\

I took a look at TunerCATS (I think they had a demo version, but not sure) and I wasn't too fond of it's GUI.
[/hijack]
Old 12-06-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

O.K., after further investigation, that is an OBDI tool; the 96-97 fbodys are OBDII. Drat, I thought that looked too good to be true. Thanks anyway, Formula350.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah, didn't know it didn't support newer ones :\ Sorry
Old 12-06-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

And what I said was that it does not read injector duty cycles like HPTuners or EFILive.
i will be getting the GM enhanced version if i do buy it. tuner c.a.t.s (aka JET) should adjust the dudy cycles of the injectors, correct?

Formula 350: thanks for the find and it would be nice if it was OBD2 but no big deal.

but i am only interested in OBD 2
Old 12-06-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ******

It has proved to be a good "tool" for the $ but if you want to make any changes..buy something else.
there is no full tuning sweet for the LT1 you need the scanner software (Auto Tap) and the tuning JET's tunercats.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

And what I said was that it does not read injector duty cycles like HPTuners or EFILive.
despite the inability to read, i should be able to write with JET's tuner cats?

unfortunately EFI live nor HPTuners is not available for the OBD 2 LT1's.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

despite the inability to read, i should be able to write with JET's tuner cats?
Absolutely. Its function is to adjust the parameters of interest and write them to the PCM.

unfortunately EFI live nor HPTuners is not available for the OBD 2 LT1's.
This has been an ongoing, ummm, discussion, for a long time in the Tuning section. They refuse to modify the application to use for our cars. Simple greed in some people's opinion, business economics in others. We just don't have the numbers to warrant the effort.
tuner c.a.t.s (aka JET) should adjust the duty cycles of the injectors, correct?
Duty cycles are based on the amount of time the injectors are open (spraying). You don't actually adjust them, you calculate them to see if your injectors are big enough for your application. In the LS1 tuning apps, (this is suppositon on my part, but I suspect it is correct) they are calculated and then presented to the scanning software.

I suggest that you read the stickies at the top of the tuning section. They can be quite useful if you take the info as a general reference. A good tuning book would also be quite useful for you. There is also probably a web page somewhere where tunercat users exchange information.
The basic rule for beginning tuners is to make your changes one at a time, or in small increments. Also, save your original tune first, before making any changes. That way, you can always go back if you do something incorrect.
You might also be interested to know that there are currently two versions of tunercat being sold. The older version has two licenses, the new one four. The software is the same; they are just raising the price by putting more licenses when they sell it. You can save about one hundred dollars if you get the two license version. You can always buy more licenses if you need them, and there is no savings by getting the four version to begin with.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

you should also try posting about mx scan. that is also another obdII datalogger for LT1 cars if im not mistaken.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by C_Rules
you should also try posting about mx scan. that is also another obdII datalogger for LT1 cars if im not mistaken.
thanks for the rep though.

i did a quick search. i have heard of a significant amount of bugs and errors in the program, and some people have had problem clearing codes from the PCM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto tap who likes/dislikes it and why?