LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone else have this issue with Hot Cam

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone else have this issue with Hot Cam

Installed a Hot cam kit on a fresh rebulit LT1 and now the brake pedal is a lot stiffer than before.

I know with a larger cam you lose vacuum but from OE to hot cam specs. I wouldn't think that it would be that big of a difference! I added a vacuum resovoir ball and still no change. I have smoked the brake booster and the engine for vacuum leaks and have found nothing!

Any insight would be highly appreciated.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't notice any difference in my brakes, then again there was a 5 month gap between driving the car.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my cam wich is much larger than a hot cam i feel no difference. Its probably not the cam.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think i noticed any difference. you a A4 or manual? i know with the stock torque converter it pushed through the brakes which made it feel like the pedal was harder to push since I had to apply more force to stop. since adding the stall my brakes feel completely normal.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would suspect a mechanical issue if the problem is that bad.
Even on a stock tune the HOT cam should make adequate vacuum.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I never had a problem, sounds like you have a leak possibly in that Vacumn Line going to the Brake Booster.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

did you break any of the lines loose on your install, probably have air in the lines
Old 12-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never had a problem with mine either. I also went with 13" brakes up front and still didn't have an issue.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Launching!

make sure the vacuum line from the intake to the power booster is on on both ends.
i had an issue getting the fitting back in on the booster side after i did head gaskets. just have to push it hard to get it in.

or check the hose that goes from intake to the booster for cracks, dry rotting, or anthing unusual.

aaron
Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OreoLt1
Installed a Hot cam kit on a fresh rebulit LT1 and now the brake pedal is a lot stiffer than before.

I know with a larger cam you lose vacuum but from OE to hot cam specs. I wouldn't think that it would be that big of a difference! I added a vacuum resovoir ball and still no change. I have smoked the brake booster and the engine for vacuum leaks and have found nothing!

Any insight would be highly appreciated.
Have you actually measured your engine vacuum at idle?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Teching In

No problem here with the Hotcam and my brakes. Didn't notice anything really with the stock tune to pcm4less tune.

I was going to say but it was stated earlier to check the vac line to the booster. Maybe something is getting messed up with the ABS??/ just throwing it out there.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Regular

I did crack the lines loose for the front when I dropped the motor out but bled the **** out of them upon installation. Normally air in the line will give the pedal a spongy feel.

All vacc. lines are in their respected locations and are not leaking externally. I have not checked actual eng. vacc. with a gauge yet which is what I will do next. The one way check valve that connects to the the vacc. line from the intake to the booster is turned the proper direction and is not leaking either.

I'll check eng. vacc. and post results monday. The vehcile is a M6 for those who asked. I appreciate everyone's help!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
i dont think i noticed any difference. you a A4 or manual? i know with the stock torque converter it pushed through the brakes which made it feel like the pedal was harder to push since I had to apply more force to stop. since adding the stall my brakes feel completely normal.
i am still on stock stall and i have a smaller cam than a hot cam and it still tries to push thru the brakes, i have to literally mash the brakes to the floor. once im moving brakes are fine, just have to apply a little more pressure when im stopped at a light or sitting for a second.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have this issue with Hot Cam