LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

96 camaro Plugs and Wires

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 camaro Plugs and Wires

Does anyone have any tips on changing the plugs and wires ? This will be my first time doing it. Thanks to anyone with info
Old 12-11-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

the LT1 is definitely not the easiest engine to change plugs on, but it isnt bad.

i would say the most importiant thing is patience. take your time.

you are going to have to go from above to under the car for the back two on the passenger side unless you have really small hands and possibly the back one on the drivers side.

i used a wrench on the end of the spark plug socket (i dont remember the size) and that made it easier on a few.

be sure to use antisieze and the spark plug boot protector.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

patience...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a '96 Z-28. I'm also from the "old school". in that I don't believe that plugs and/or wires last 100,000 miles. My car has 70,000 miles on it, and I've changed both the plugs and wires twice...Once around 40,000 miles, and then a couple of years, and 10,000 miles ago.

My method is a little unconventional, however A) my car has never been winter driven, so rusty nuts and bolts aren't a problem; and B) I'm a big guy, with really big hands, so trying to squeeze in small spaces isn't a option for me.

Having said that, since I have a good flat floor to work on, I get the car safely and securely, well up off the ground, and then remove the exhaust system from the front of the car. It can be a little time consuming, and possibly tricky, if the nuts and blots haven't been removed before. However, once you get that out of the way, 7 out of the 8 plugs are EASILY accessable. The #2 plug, front plug on the pass. side, however, is still a little difficult, as it's somewhat buried under the A/C compressor and lines. Removing that plug is equally difficult from either the top or bottom, so that's a toss-up.

The shop manual says to remove the P/S pump, when you replace the plug wires, as there's a wire loom BEHIND the pump. What were they thinking?? The first time I did the wires, I left the pump in place, and struggled to get the wires in and out of that loom. The second time, I pulled the pump, and it was a lot easier.

As "impaled" and "Green3spd" have already said, paitence will be your friend....Good luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I'm a big guy, with really big hands, so trying to squeeze in small spaces isn't a option for me.

Having said that, since I have a good flat floor to work on, I get the car safely and securely, well up off the ground, and then remove the exhaust system from the front of the car.
As "impaled" and "Green3spd" have already said, paitence will be your friend....Good luck!
i also have really big hands, that makes it more difficult, but i dont think the time saved by removing the headers is worth it, espically if you have stock exhaust manifolds, that havent been removed.

trust me, using the wrench on the end of the sparkplug socket will help you with access issues for a few of them anyways.

i also remove the rubber inside the socket while i remove the old plugs and put it back in while using the new plugs (i use two different sockets so i am not actually constantly putting it back in/taking it out). my logic behind that is that if you drop an old plug who cares? but if you drop i new one its a little more importiant.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by impaled
i also have really big hands, that makes it more difficult, but i dont think the time saved by removing the headers is worth it, espically if you have stock exhaust manifolds, that havent been removed.
No, I didn't mean removing the manifolds or headers....Just the crossover pipe from the left side to the "Y" pipe, as well as the RH side of the "Y" pipe. With those out of the way, there's LOTS of work space.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

I was able to get all 4 on the drivers side easy enough and the back one on the passanger side, i got the 2nd from the front on the passanger side out but can not get the damn thing back in, i think i'm gonna try the whole pulling the y-pipe thing in the morning, i am really pissed off right now, i think i'm gonna go drink my self to sleep, lol. Maybe i'll go slay some people on Gears of War 2 to clear my head a bit
Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by evilbeef54
I was able to get all 4 on the drivers side easy enough and the back one on the passanger side, i got the 2nd from the front on the passanger side out but can not get the damn thing back in, i think i'm gonna try the whole pulling the y-pipe thing in the morning, i am really pissed off right now, i think i'm gonna go drink my self to sleep, lol. Maybe i'll go slay some people on Gears of War 2 to clear my head a bit

I know that it sounds like a royal PITA to pull the "Y" pipe, but at least in my opinion, the time you spend there, you more than make up in the plug swap.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll be doing this job my first time as well after the holidays. Lookin foward to it
Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

I was able to do all the plugs from the top. I did have to remove the alternator to get to the #2 plug. Make sure you have many different size socket extensions and rachets and you will have an easier job. I did not replace wires so maybe someone else could chime in about that.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned

Well i think me and my friends can Get ER Done, we put my heater core in about 4 hours, first time with that 2, it was a pain, My other friend has a 93 and he said it took him 4 hours 2 put his plugs and wires in and he is not good at mechanicing at all so i think it want be to bad. THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS
Old 12-13-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MadMike96
Well i think me and my friends can Get ER Done, we put my heater core in about 4 hours, first time with that 2, it was a pain, My other friend has a 93 and he said it took him 4 hours 2 put his plugs and wires in and he is not good at mechanicing at all so i think it want be to bad. THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS

IIRC, the '93-'95s didn't have the dual cat set up, like my '96 does. So, without that big, fat cat stuck directly under the exhaust manifold, they might be easier to work on...
Old 12-13-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'm doing plugs and wires when I do my headers... If I ever get them... (they are in the mail)

Last edited by LSWHO; 12-13-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSWHO
I'm doing plugs and wires when I do my headers... If I ever get them... (they are in the mail)
Yeah, thats when I did mine. Figured I might as well do them while they were easy to do.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I know that it sounds like a royal PITA to pull the "Y" pipe, but at least in my opinion, the time you spend there, you more than make up in the plug swap.
okay i did it with out pulling the y-pipe, it was welded in, i put the front end up on ramps, used a step ladder, and was able to work 1 or two fingers on the plugs to start the threads
Old 12-14-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by evilbeef54
okay i did it with out pulling the y-pipe, it was welded in....

You mean like rust???

Quick Reply: 96 camaro Plugs and Wires