LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lots of ? on bolt on performance

Old 12-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lots of ? on bolt on performance

Pulled my sons 94 z's motor apart to replace head gasket. If your going to do one better do both. Lets get rid of the air and emissions. Might as well put some headers on it while its apart and now going to cam it and some roller rockers. ?#1how tight is a new timing chain,slack side to side? 2 oil pan gasket broke pulling timing cover off(looks like 1 pc) can you get the pan off with the motor in the car?Can you buy egr manifold block off plates or is everybody making them?How much performance gain going to tru roller rockers and not just roller tips?Anyone done any gasket matching or bowl blending on these heads with good results?Same with the intake?Any other tips or insight would be great! Got to run down his brothers ls1 and don't want to be disappointed. (lt1,m6,3.42 gears) THANKS JOHN B
Old 12-13-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Alot of questions. I know they make EGR Block off plates, and I also know you can make them yourself.

The gain for the roller rockers will depend on the size of the cam.

As for the rest, someone else should be able to help you more.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fast432
Pulled my sons 94 z's motor apart to replace head gasket. If your going to do one better do both. Lets get rid of the air and emissions. Might as well put some headers on it while its apart and now going to cam it and some roller rockers. ?#1how tight is a new timing chain,slack side to side? 2 oil pan gasket broke pulling timing cover off(looks like 1 pc) can you get the pan off with the motor in the car?Can you buy egr manifold block off plates or is everybody making them?How much performance gain going to tru roller rockers and not just roller tips?Anyone done any gasket matching or bowl blending on these heads with good results?Same with the intake?Any other tips or insight would be great! Got to run down his brothers ls1 and don't want to be disappointed. (lt1,m6,3.42 gears) THANKS JOHN B
damn that is alot of questions! hah! but its a good place to get answers. slack i believe with my dads was 1/16" or so. the oil pan ive never done but i do believe i read somewhere you cant because of clearance issuses with the K member. you might have to lift the engine up slightly to do that. yes you can buy EGR block off plates but if your handy with a wrench you can make them. i used the old gaskets as templates. idk if theres much of a performance gain with RT vs full roller (that youd really notice) but you would notice noise and smoothness. switching from stock to roller tips was a world of difference in the smoothness category. if you port match the heads to the intake youll see some decent gains but if you really wanna spend some money but see awesome AWESOME results give a call to lloyd http://www.elliottsportworks.com/ you should also talk to him about a cam. hes very knowledgeable. powder coat everything!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lots of ? on bolt on performance