LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil weight?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil weight?

So i checked my dipstick last night and it is on the first little notch (the lowest one). so i figure i probably need to add a quart. The owners manual suggests 5w30 oil but im just wondering what you guys are using? I also have an aftermarket oil cooler, so maybe i require a little more oil then stockers.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an after market oil cooler will add alittle. id fill it with 5 and a half quarts (what it suggests) run it so it gets through tthe whole engine and then let it cool down and check it. add if needed. i run 10w30. i feel 5w30 is to light. especially if your running the car hard. you want a thicker oil. in the summer time some people run 10w40. i might do that this summer
Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

At operating temps 5w-30 could be thicker than 10w-30 depending on exactly which two you are choosing between.

I do not understand checking the oil cold either, hot makes more sense seeing as hot is how it should be any time you are challengine the oiling system.

Frankly you will get more bad info like the first reply than you will get good info here. Only a few of us here have any comprehension of this subject and most of us are damned tired of typing the same things over and over. Search out some old posts on oil weights and follow the links provided in those threads to the Bobistheoilguy forum.

Short version, if you think a 0w-30 is "thin" and a 10w-30 is "thick" you are wrong and you should not be gicving any advise on the subject, matter of fact some of the thickest 30weight oils are 0w-30s. Also ifg someone says "use M1 because they recommended it for the Vette", ignore their input too.

Sorry I didn't type it all out for you, but maybe if you work for it a little it will mean more too you.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
At operating temps 5w-30 could be thicker than 10w-30 depending on exactly which two you are choosing between.

I do not understand checking the oil cold either, hot makes more sense seeing as hot is how it should be any time you are challengine the oiling system.

Frankly you will get more bad info like the first reply than you will get good info here. Only a few of us here have any comprehension of this subject and most of us are damned tired of typing the same things over and over. Search out some old posts on oil weights and follow the links provided in those threads to the Bobistheoilguy forum.

Short version, if you think a 0w-30 is "thin" and a 10w-30 is "thick" you are wrong and you should not be gicving any advise on the subject, matter of fact some of the thickest 30weight oils are 0w-30s. Also ifg someone says "use M1 because they recommended it for the Vette", ignore their input too.

Sorry I didn't type it all out for you, but maybe if you work for it a little it will mean more too you.
non taken. i appreciate the advice
Old 12-19-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

someone around here has a really good link to an article about oil weight. I forget who it is though.

Search this Thread