LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ported LT1 manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ported LT1 manifold?

ok my questions is would a LT1 manifold thats ported and maybe a new throttle body, would that help out in hp gains at all even if the heads arent ported and theres no cam?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very little gain..I would just do the throttle body for the time and the intake down the road with a head/cam swap
Old 12-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

yea i didnt think so, cuz i got 700 bucks to spend so im just curious whats the smartest way to spend my money. The car is a stock 94 z28, and i have an slp catback and magnaflow catalitic converter already yet to be installed. I have a friend that's selling me a new LT4 hot cam for $300, but idk ive read on here that its a really mild cam.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

im more leaning towards pacesetter long tubes, and a new y-pipe and installing the other things i have and getting a tune from the madtunner.com what do you guys think?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

long tube headers would be a lot better then a ported intake and T/B
Old 12-22-2008, 08:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfen
im more leaning towards pacesetter long tubes, and a new y-pipe and installing the other things i have and getting a tune from the madtunner.com what do you guys think?
that would be a much smarter direction to take.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

i am in the midst of putting my pacesetters on.

as far as tuning goes. i would pick up autotap and tuner cats. that way you can tune yourself as far as you progress with your mods.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

what do you think of a pully set, cuz i need a new belt anyway, but would pullies be worth it?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by impaled
i am in the midst of putting my pacesetters on.

as far as tuning goes. i would pick up autotap and tuner cats. that way you can tune yourself as far as you progress with your mods.
can i get those on summit? and for 0BD1? But i also heard that a real tune from a computer program is way better then a tune like hypertech. Are those tuners you mentioned like a little hypertech device?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Banned

You need LT's before you think of a cam. There are still some LPP's left...I would get those over the Pacesetters any day of the week.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hope your friend is selling you the whole hot cam kit with rockers and all, and not just the cam for 300 cause their about 200 new. If your interested i have a set of hotcam valve springs with the locks, seats, and retainers for sale cheap. PM me if ur interested.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by impaled
...as far as tuning goes. i would pick up autotap and tuner cats. that way you can tune yourself as far as you progress with your mods.
Sorry, Autotap is OBDII only. Tunercat is a must, and allows you to modify your tune at will. There are OBDI scan tools available, such as Datamaster. They both run on a pc, preferably a laptop so you can do datalogging while you drive. For your vehicle, they are quite inexpensive compared to OBDII solutions. Go to tunercat.com. There will be links there for everything you will need, including the ALDL cable.
Hypertech is O.K. for a basically stock automatic car, useless for a modded engine.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i would go with the long tubes and y pipe you will def feel a big gain, also a good intake with the full exhaust will help out.

I have a Moroso CAI and Mid length Pacesetters (SMOG LEGAL) with High Flow Cat, and straight pipe all the way back and the car is so much qiucker when i installed them from stock. I put down 270 RWHP and 316 RWTQ in my 94 Z28 with auto tranny!
Old 12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2XR95Z28
Hope your friend is selling you the whole hot cam kit with rockers and all, and not just the cam for 300 cause their about 200 new. If your interested i have a set of hotcam valve springs with the locks, seats, and retainers for sale cheap. PM me if ur interested.
yea for everything he even has an LT1 engine just sitting there that he was gonna put the cam in but he just needs the money, maybe i can talk him down to 200 but im just lazy to do the labor myself and dont have the money to get it installed.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 94CamaroZ28SS
I have a Moroso CAI and Mid length Pacesetters (SMOG LEGAL) with High Flow Cat, and straight pipe all the way back and the car is so much qiucker when i installed them from stock. I put down 270 RWHP and 316 RWTQ in my 94 Z28 with auto tranny!
i cant really afford the long tubes now that i did the math, so im looking into getting BBK shorties since i get 15% off from kragen for going to wyotech, and i might get a k&n intake from there too and install this slp catback i have. Also maybe that computer tune, i know a place around here that would sell me the OBD1 wire for $60
Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

i cant really afford the long tubes now that i did the math, so im looking into getting BBK shorties since i get 15% off from kragen for going to wyotech, and i might get a k&n intake from there too and install this slp catback i have. Also maybe that computer tune, i know a place around here that would sell me the OBD1 wire for $60
from what i have heard on here, shorty headers arent worth it.

i love my K&N intake if you dont have one, its a good thing to pick up.

skip on the underdrive pulleys. they wont net you anything worth your time or money.

you probably wont need a tune until you have a cam in or are alot further modded than you are now.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Don't waste ur $$$ and time on the shorty headers, not much of any gain there, and you seem inclinded to learn how to do this stuff yourself, assuming that's why you go to Wyotech right? So buy the lil stuff you can afform now, I'd highly suggest buying some decent suspension parts before gettin all involved in stuff like Cam swaps, not to mention going over the car in general, 94's have crap brakes etc... Maybe do the easy bolt on stuff and learn the tuning part yourself, hell you might find some other dudes who will end up paying you to work on or tune their car.... Esp if this is your DD car, as soon as I started the nonsense with the camshafts etc I had to buy a beater truck just to get around and the Camaro became "the project"
Old 12-23-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

suspension is definitely a good place to start. LCA's, (maybe LCARBS), PHB, shocks, also shocks up front.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

ok i got my K&N intake already installed and slp cat back installed and i feels pretty sick. I wanna do that tuner cats thing but i dont understand from reading on that website. Is there a program i dl then pay $20 for the tune and put that file in the program and then hook up a wire to my computer and then to the OBD1 port? or is the file i pay $20 for and the wire all i need?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

THe programs to download a tune and do diagnostic stuff is generally freeware stuff for OBD1
Check on http://tunercat.com/ under the winflash tab...
You will have to buy the cable for your computer to the OBD1 port and then buy a $19.95 file for your VIN#....

Quick Reply: ported LT1 manifold?