LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT-4 valvesprings??

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT-4 valvesprings??

Ok, lately I've read many articles on the LT4 hotcam and springs. I have that cam in my car and so far so good. If those springs are not good enough them what do you people reconmend? I also read awhile back by just changing to a better spring I can gain a little more power. Is this true?

Also when I changed the cam I decide to change the lifters as well. I bought lifters from Napa which were Sealled Power but now every morning first start up I get lifter noise for a few minutes. It never did that with my stock lifters so I hear that the LS7 lifters are very good and will work in the LT1.. Is this also true.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Crane kit is great and it comes with the locks and retainers and is still cheaper than the Comp Bee Hives. If your just running the HotCam, the LT4 springs should be okay.

Lots of people use the LS7 lifters with LT1's. I've even read if you go to a dealership and ask for an LT1 lifters, you get an LS7 lifters - not sure if it's true.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The LT4 hotcam will put the LT4 springs close to the limit, but as stated, it should be okay to use them. If you go with a larger cam in the future you will need to upgrade your springs. The Crane dual kit and Comp 918 beehives are the two most popular choices, with the Crane kit being the cheaper of the two. I am running the crane dual valve spring kit with my CC503.
Also, yes, the LS7 lifters are the new OEM replacement lifters. If you order lifters for a LT1 from the dealer you will in fact get LS7 lifters. I have not seen anyone have any problems with them, even in 7k rpm modded applications.

Search this Thread