LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

wiring in a switch to prevent start

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring in a switch to prevent start

i am moving to a new area and am a little concerned about my car's safety. what wire could i tap into and wire a switch to where if i flipped it the car would not start.

but the problem i am having is finding a wire that would not mess with VATS or my factory alarm.

any ideas. its for the formula which is M6 so the wire to the tranny that i switched on my iroc wouldnt work.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

quick thought... would the neutral safety switch work?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remove the fuel pump relay.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

fuel pump wiring is an idea. but i want to be able to flip it when i park it at night and have in not be obvious. the switch will be in hiding
Old 12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the low voltage fuel pump signal wire to the relay, or the starter solenoid signal wire. I would do the fuel pump relay. Just make DAMN sure you got good connections. Could cause massive driveability problems if not done very well.

My car came with some kind of deal on it wired in to stop theft. It goes inline with the starter and fuel pump. You pull this little tab out that completes all the connections and that bitch is dead, wont hit a lick. It is under the steering column at the bottom of the dash.

I been scared to take it out LMAO, car may never run again!!!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Purple wire where it goes thru the firewall on the passenger side behind the kick panel. That is the starter wire after it goes thru the vats. It is a good sized wire. At least thats what it is on a 97 trans am. You interupt that wire and it will not turn over at all.

Use a rotary relay if you want. Then you dont have to worry about it when you want to drive it and not turn set it to no start. Look up a rotary relay but here is the basics. Every time you supply power to it it "flipes" so you use a monumentary push button to supply power to it. You press the button and it will flip not allowing power thru it for when its parked in a bad spot. Push the button again and it flips back and the car can be started. If done right you can wire in a led to show when the starter is dead. Then just hide the push button or series of two push buttons so that you have to press 2 at the same time to confuse smarter criminals somewhere no one will find it. This set up works great as it is past the vats and will not let the car start unless the can get directly to the starter to roll it over. You can also use this at the same time to kill the fuel pump relay wire if you are really worried.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html
That site should help you out some i think it has some schematics somewhere.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Launching!

You could do a main cutoff switch under your seat, and run a small..say 12-10 gauge wire with about a 5-10 amp fuse in it from the positive batt terminal to the starter (not the solenoid wire, butt the main). Flip the main switch off and all your settings are still saved, the stereo will work, fuel pump will kick on, power locks will work, until you try to bump the starter and pop goes the fuse.....everything dead. If I was thief I would give up! Just don't forget to flip the switch back before you start it or you will fool yourself and have to replace the fuse.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I would put a switch on the Fuel Enable wire that comes from the PCM and goes to the Relay.

Quick Reply: wiring in a switch to prevent start