LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Troubleshooting the AIR pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Troubleshooting the AIR pump

As of late my 1994 LT1 TA has been blowing one AIR pump fuse after another. For some reason the bitch is drawing too much current, popping the fuse, and making the cooling fans come on and stay on - not nice when you're trying to keep it warm in 27*F weather. Anybody know how to troubleshoot this circuit? I already searched for it but there's nothing about it out there except for AIR pump deletes - something I'm not willing to do yet. I need to be able to pass emissions.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at a wiring diagram and make sure you check your connections. i had that problem and it turned out to be a bad ground wire. good ground, but the wire was fried.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The AIR pump is a common problem as a result of internal corrosion and doing just as you state. That's why there was a huge recall on them back in the day. Sounds like you need a new pump.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Rob, do you have any wiring schematics or how-tos for the AIR pump?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
What exactly do you need?

The AIR pump itself is a pretty simple device. It's held to the engine by three bolts, has a few hoses and pipes, and one electrical connector. Just remove everything and it will pop right off. You should be able to find a used one pretty easily as they are a popular removal mod.

Like Rob said, there was a massive recall on them as that is almost certainly your problem. As cheap and easy as they are to replace, I wouldn't spend time on looking for a bad ground somewhere.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
It's just a pump that plugs in. There is little to it as already described. If you unplug the pump (keeping a good fuse and relay in place) and it solves your fuse issue, then you can be pretty sure your pump is bad.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a factory air pump out of my 97 Z28 it worked fine when I removed it. I pulled it when I installed non emissions headers.

If you need a air pump ill sell you mine.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by shbox
It's just a pump that plugs in. There is little to it as already described. If you unplug the pump (keeping a good fuse and relay in place) and it solves your fuse issue, then you can be pretty sure your pump is bad.
That's exactly what I did today. The fuse is still good and no SES light. I guess I'll just leave the pump unplugged until I actually need it to work.

Quick Reply: Troubleshooting the AIR pump