LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

oil heater delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil heater delete?

i heard deleting the oil heater has been done to gain better clearance on the filter with long tubes installed. is this true? if so, how would i go about doing it?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

you mean oil cooler? if i remember correctly 96 f-body dont have a cooler. does your oil filter mount on a housing with lines going towards the front of the car?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shutzero
i heard deleting the oil heater has been done to gain better clearance on the filter with long tubes installed. is this true? if so, how would i go about doing it?
It's an oil cooler, not a oil heater. You basically cap off the ports (one at the water pump and one at the radiator) and unbolt the oil cooler from the bottom of the engine block. I think it should just be two bolts. You will have to bolt the oil filter adapter back up to the block.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i meant cooler, my bad haha long day at work after drinking all night. but um im not 100% sure on the housing i just assumed it had one because trying to get the filter off is a pain in the ***...maybe i should just stop being cheap and buy an oil filter wrench haha
Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by shutzero
yeah i meant cooler, my bad haha long day at work after drinking all night. but um im not 100% sure on the housing i just assumed it had one because trying to get the filter off is a pain in the ***...maybe i should just stop being cheap and buy an oil filter wrench haha
Just stab it with a screwdriver and twist it off.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
yea thats what i had to do on my last oil change
Old 01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

I do it every time, I even bought 2 wrenches for the oil filter... I like this method better *Shrugs*
Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Don't do that. Take an oil filter wrench and get it as near to the block as possible, that's where the oil filter casing is strongest. I seriously have stabbed one with a screwdriver and then proceeded to take 3 hours to get the rest off with various tools b/c it was on there too tight.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Don't do that. Take an oil filter wrench and get it as near to the block as possible, that's where the oil filter casing is strongest. I seriously have stabbed one with a screwdriver and then proceeded to take 3 hours to get the rest off with various tools b/c it was on there too tight.
Well as you said, that was because the filter was on there WAY to tight. You only need to go a little past snug to seal the filter. I've never had a problem taking off a filter.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was practically the first time I took off a filter at my school, it was more than hand tight so I tried an oil filter wrench which cracked the casing b/c I didn't put it near the block, then put a screwdriver thru it and shredded the rest of the casing, then used an air chisel and finally got it off after about an hour of that.