LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Yeah, another OPTI question....

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Yeah, another OPTI question....

I think I outsmarted myself by trying to "clean" the optical sensor on my OPTI, while I was installing a new cap and rotor. I put everything back together, and the car starts and runs OK, but I now have the check engine light gracing my instrument panel. I'm pretty sure that I have all the plugs hooked up, but it's too damned cold to go back out to the garage and crawl around under the car right now.

Anyway, I'm going to check it over and run a code scan tomorrow, and if I get a code for the sensor, it will be new OPTI time. My choices are:
A) AC Delco replacement;
B) Delphi replacement;
C) GMPP replacement;
D) The "high buck" (DynaSpark or MSD) replacements

Discounting where I actually buy the unit, is there any difference, beside price, between the 3 "GM" OPTIs??

Thanks in advance.....
Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A B and C are the same thing.

You want the genuine GM part. Stay away from the MSD/Dynaspark.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ +1....
Old 01-13-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by juanito
^^^ +1....
+2. The best prices around are from "thepartsladi" on Ebay. They go for something like $255 + shipping. I have bought three from them (1 for me, 2 for buddy's of mine). Should arrive in about a week.
Do yourself a favor and remove the cap and thread lock the rotor screws, one at a time.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA

That's kind of what I thought, but the WIDE variety of pricing (especially for the GMPP piece) had me wondering.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
That's kind of what I thought, but the WIDE variety of pricing (especially for the GMPP piece) had me wondering.
Just if you didn't know, "thepartsladi" only sells genuine AC Delco and Delphi opti's. I didn't know if you caught that from my last post. Do a search on them here and you will find it's legit.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Just if you didn't know, "thepartsladi" only sells genuine AC Delco and Delphi opti's. I didn't know if you caught that from my last post. Do a search on them here and you will find it's legit.

Yes, I did a little "research" on the "partsladi" a couple of weeks ago, and "she" seems to be a side department of a GM dealership in Florida...
Old 01-21-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I did wind up ordering a new Opti, however I bought it from Rock Auto Parts, as I had a couple of discount coupons from them that were about to expire. I basically paid the same as the "partsladi".

I was anxious to receive the new Opti, as I had replaced the cap and rotor on my OE unit for a second time, and had issues with it ever since. From what I can see, the bushings on my OE piece were really bad, and I had a lot of "radial slop" in the rotor shaft. This was allowing the rotor to wobble, and scrape the inside of the cap.

Maybe I'll try to press off the pieces inside the distribotor housing, and see if I can fit a ball bearing of some sort on the shaft....Kind of a "science project". Hopefully, the weather will warm up a bit this weekend, so I can put the new Opti on the car. I don't like working in a 10 degree garage anymore....
Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA

You want the genuine GM part. Stay away from the MSD/Dynaspark.
what is wrong with the MSD opti?
Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BackInBlack02
what is wrong with the MSD opti?
Not Damn thing with the new updates (even if you have an old version MSD will send you the new part free) and loctite the rotor screws it's a great alternative to GM
Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Roadwarrior1956
Not Damn thing with the new updates (even if you have an old version MSD will send you the new part free) and loctite the rotor screws it's a great alternative to GM
Yeah, if you lock tite the rotor screws, there is nothing wrong with them. But it won't offer you any gains either and I think it's not worth the money.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Yeah, if you lock tite the rotor screws, there is nothing wrong with them. But it won't offer you any gains either and I think it's not worth the money.
You maybe right, but the MSD distributor has higher quality bearing as is most of the construction, not to mention the cap and rotor which are the best available.

On the Delco part the rotor is held with plastic pins melted over that have been known to shatter.

I 'll take my chances with the MSD.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Roadwarrior1956
You maybe right, but the MSD distributor has higher quality bearing........

I thought about the MSD, but at twice the price, it gave me pause. What really shocked me, sort of, is that some folks here have claimed over 100,000 miles on their Optis, and mine, at least the bearing, is toast at 70,000 miles.

It took me 13 years to amass that mileage, so I just didn't figure the MSD was a worthwhile investment. Therefore, I'll be happy to get another 13 years out of the one I just bought. In another 13 years, it's possible that either technology will have completely obsoleted a 1996 car, gas may be either unavalable or too expensive, or I just might be too old and infirm to drive....
Old 01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

took mine 112,xxx miles to crap out.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Launching!

d they have improved the problems that the factory one`s had

Quick Reply: Yeah, another OPTI question....