LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Bleeding Brakes Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding Brakes Help

So I got in my car the other day and stepped on the brakes and it barely stopped. Just out of no where, i mean the brakes have always been bad, but now i almost have to slam it all the way to the floor. The reservoir is full, so i'm not sure where to start. I figured i'd bleed the system? How do i go about doing that without a power bleeder?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need 2 people. Someone in the car to pump the pedal and hold it down. Then the other person cracks open the bleeder on the caliper. Once fluid comes out close it back up. Just make sure the person in the seat keeps the pedal down the entire time until you close the bleeder. And always start at the caliper farthest away from the resevoir and work towards it.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Take the front Tires off, and have someone get into the Car. With it off have them Pump the Brakes up about 10 times, then have them keep putting pressure on the Petal and you open the Bleeder on that Caliper. Tell them to hold it to the Floor. Some Fluid will come out, then when it's done draining tighten the Bleeder. Then tell them to pump the Petal again about 10 times, and hold it to the Floor when you open the Bleeder again and let it bleed. Basically repeat this till all Air comes out.

I do this 3 times on one side, 3 times on the other, then back to each side once. Then I do the same for the back. You don't have to take off the Tires in the back to bleed them, just have some Rags.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by porksoda
You will need 2 people. Someone in the car to pump the pedal and hold it down. Then the other person cracks open the bleeder on the caliper. Once fluid comes out close it back up. Just make sure the person in the seat keeps the pedal down the entire time until you close the bleeder. And always start at the caliper farthest away from the resevoir and work towards it.
Thanks, i also noticed a smaller brake fluid reservoir below the top one, is that for the clutch. How long do i bleed it for?

how's that cc503 treating you btw? that is my next mod.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Yea that is for the Clutch. That one is a bitch if not properly done.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

okay so i am not touching the smaller one.

so i start at the rear calipers, have someone hold down the brake pedal while i open the bleeder screw, let some out. close it, pump it again, repeat. is that right? how do i know when to stop?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

does anyone have a picture of the bleeder valve on the caliper btw? Im not sure where it is. also do i keep the cap off the reservoir while i do this?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Put the Cap on the Resivoir unless you want a mess..lol
Old 01-18-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nik1703
........How do i know when to stop?
When you get clean fluid coming out of the bleeder (it's the "pointy looking thing" with the hex head) IIRC, it's a 10 MM or maybe 3/8 hex.

Whatever you do, don't let the master cylinder go dry, or you'll have to start all over.

A tip....Get some clear tygon or plastic hose, 3/16" ID, at the hardware store, and place it over the bleeder while doing this. Aim the old fluid into a tin can, old pop can, etc.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also you could buy brake bleeders that eliminates the need of a 2nd person to help bleed the brakes.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
Put the Cap on the Resivoir unless you want a mess..lol
If changing brake pads then yes it can become a mess, but while bleeding the brakes the reservoir is not pressurized. It makes no matter if the lid is on or off. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure the reservoir does not run low when pumping the brakes.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If changing brake pads then yes it can become a mess, but while bleeding the brakes the reservoir is not pressurized. It makes no matter if the lid is on or off. The only thing to watch out for is to make sure the reservoir does not run low when pumping the brakes.
What he said and work your way from the farthest brake from the master cylinder to the closest.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah this is a key point. If you let the reservoir get low you can really screw yourself while bleeding them.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

so i bled the brakes, all four calipers. not much air came out, if any. did 10 pumps, bled, repeated 3 times on each caliper. Took it for a test drive, got the same really soft feeling. I know they cant be THAT bad. Anyone local availible to come test them out? I'm in redondo beach (Los angeles area)

Other then bleeding, the only other thing i couldthink of is the brake master cylinder going bad. any ideas?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

leaking brake line?... i was also gonna add, make sure u dont break the bleeder valve when trying to break it open.... would have to replace the caliper
Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

check the rubber facing the pads on the caliper, this is around the piston facing the pads, if its wet, your claipers are leaking and need fix/replace. If that's the problem, you can bleed the brakes all day long and still have the same problem.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BackInBlack02
check the rubber facing the pads on the caliper, this is around the piston facing the pads, if its wet, your claipers are leaking and need fix/replace. If that's the problem, you can bleed the brakes all day long and still have the same problem.

ah i see, i guess ill pull the wheel off again tomorrow. But i mean, it just happened at once, they wouldnt all start leaking at the same time...

what are the symptoms of the master cylinder?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by nik1703
so i bled the brakes, all four calipers. not much air came out, if any. did 10 pumps, bled, repeated 3 times on each caliper. Took it for a test drive, got the same really soft feeling. I know they cant be THAT bad. Anyone local availible to come test them out? I'm in redondo beach (Los angeles area)

Other then bleeding, the only other thing i couldthink of is the brake master cylinder going bad. any ideas?
One of the goals of bleeding brakes is to replace all used fluid with new. In order to do this you are going to have to this proceedure more than 3 times for every caliper. The air could be closer to the master cylinder than the caliper.
As stated you should also check the condition of the calipers. If the rubber boot is damaged then it's inevitable (if not already) that the piston on the caliper will seize. You should take all calipers off and examine them closely.
How are your brake pads anyway?
Old 01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Resident

One of the goals of bleeding brakes is to replace all used fluid with new. In order to do this you are going to have to this proceedure more than 3 times for every caliper. The air could be closer to the master cylinder than the caliper.
As stated you should also check the condition of the calipers. If the rubber boot is damaged then it's inevitable (if not already) that the piston on the caliper will seize. You should take all calipers off and examine them closely.
How are your brake pads anyway?
Pads are good, i checked them while i was bleeding the system.

How much would it cost me to do a used C5 Corvette brake upgrade? $200-ish?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Resident

anyone on this?

Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes Help