LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ticking / Vibration ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking / Vibration ?

Well it might have been there before but I notice a intermiting tick it seems to be coming from under car, if its idleing it sounds good or reving , you only hear it when you give it gas and let off? (you might give it gas and find a spot where you can hear it)

I thought it was my valves / rockers so I adjusted them (still there) my motor has 3000 miles on her, it has new Trick flow lifters. one thing I did notice was that when I started my motor up with out the valve covers and I rev it up a little it seemed like one of my rockers took awhile to get oil up thereas to where the others got oil quicker...

also and I don't know if this has anything to do with it but every now and then I get a vibration when driving? you kinda notice it more when taking off.
I was affraid that it might be my motor because its new, I changed oil & filter today.
my oil only had 1700 miles and I cut the filter, the filter looked clean no metal...I also checked my flywheel ( it looks good)

Now I think about it when I was trouble shooting it today I had my door open listen and I notice that I smelled gas or unburnt fuel I don't now if that has anything to do with it ?hmmm what you guys think??

Last edited by slagger; 01-18-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

trying to go by what your describing but the ticking could just be an exhaust leak
Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

I wondered about that to but can a exhaust leak sound so much like a ticking sound?
it mostly sounds from the bottom of the car
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

mine is leaking right now and it sounds like a ticking, and yours is under the car so i would say more than likely thats what it is
Old 01-18-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

I'm crossing my fingers it is.. I used the copper gaskets & stag 8 header bolts on my exhaust so maybe I got to go back and tighten them
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

yea i used the stage 8 to and they are not supposed to back off i picked mine up from the shop and then took it to have the Y pipe fabbed up so there was no way for him to know they were leaking. but it could be leaking from anywhere under neath if you bumped the exahust on something
Old 01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

well I drove it to work and it felt good no vibration but before I left to work I could hear the ticking sound in my drive way but once I got to work it was gone so i'm hoping its either the exhaust leak or sticky lifter, I did change the oil yesturday that might have helped but I think I might switch to synthetic oil that might help it move freelyer..

Quick Reply: Ticking / Vibration ?