LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition question

Hay guys im new here so plz take it easy on me. Im building a carbed LT1. i no i have to use a old style distributor that sits in the back of the motor. Now heres my question were do i need to cut on the car. and what else needs done to make this set up work?
Old 01-23-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Were you able to find an intake manifold that will work on the LT-1 heads? If so, you'll probably have to cut up the cowling of the car, in order to get a regular distributor in back....watch out for the windshield wiper assembly.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya im using the carbed manifold from GM performance thats made for the lt1 i just have to drill out the spot for the distributor. if i have to cut the cowling on the car then i will. the next problem is i dont now what to do with the opti. Im not putting the rotor back on the opti but i have to put the cap on and its going to look like crap.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrunnerz28
ya im using the carbed manifold from GM performance thats made for the lt1 i just have to drill out the spot for the distributor. if i have to cut the cowling on the car then i will. the next problem is i dont now what to do with the opti. Im not putting the rotor back on the opti but i have to put the cap on and its going to look like crap.
You can buy an aluminum plate that blocks off the hole, it bolts up to the timing cover using the three bolts that the opti used. I don't know what it's called or where to get it though.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You can buy an aluminum plate that blocks off the hole, it bolts up to the timing cover using the three bolts that the opti used. I don't know what it's called or where to get it though.

Good call, I forgot about it....I seem to remember seeing it in the GMPP catalog.

Edit....
I was just out in the garage this AM, and my GMPP catalog caught my eye as I was heading back in the house...The p/n for the "front cover/plug" is 12367600

Last edited by leadfoot4; 01-24-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Ignition question