LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car wont stay running

Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default car wont stay running

hey guys. i have been trying to trouble shoot why this car wont stay running. its a 96 SS, and i first thought it was the PCM not working. but we found that the control wire/plug that goes to the alternator was broken. could that make the car run sporadic and rough? the car will run, then all of a sudden die and not want to restart.... the gauges act weird every now and again and they will bounce around all by their selves. any thoughts? TIA
Old 01-23-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankSS
hey guys. i have been trying to trouble shoot why this car wont stay running. its a 96 SS, and i first thought it was the PCM not working. but we found that the control wire/plug that goes to the alternator was broken. could that make the car run sporadic and rough? the car will run, then all of a sudden die and not want to restart.... the gauges act weird every now and again and they will bounce around all by their selves. any thoughts? TIA
Sounds like you have several electrical problems, I would get all of them straightened out before you start troubleshooting further.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

ya got the car in peices and previous owners didnt take care of it well. trying to straiten it all out, but there is alot. yall think that a new harness could possibly fix some of the issues?
Old 01-23-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankSS
ya got the car in peices and previous owners didnt take care of it well. trying to straiten it all out, but there is alot. yall think that a new harness could possibly fix some of the issues?
I would replace the broken wire, check all of the grounds, and check the connections to the starter and the alt.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

well just the alt. connector broke in half.... it starts and turns over good. ill double check the grounds again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: car wont stay running