LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

t/b and intake manifold gains?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t/b and intake manifold gains?

thinking about getting a twin 58mm throttle body and intake manifold. just wonder what the gains would be so i can decide if its worth it. thanks.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your current modifications? If you just have basic bolt-ons it really wouldn't be worth the $$$ spent. At most with a ported intake and 58mm you might see 8-10 @ the rear if that.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdscreaminchickin
thinking about getting a twin 58mm throttle body and intake manifold. just wonder what the gains would be so i can decide if its worth it. thanks.
What is your current mods/set up? On a stock motor, I'd be willing to bet that you'd lose power due to too much air flow.

A 58mm TB is overkill for anything less than ~450rwhp. If you are stock, I would bolt on a set of headers first, that will be the best bang for your buck mod. Then maybe you can step up to a 52mm TB, add a CAI, bolt on some 1.6 RR's, throw in a tune, and you'd really happy. Then you'll need a converter (A4), some gears (3.73's for an A4, 4.10's for a M6), and some sticky tires.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

^^I have heard they may lose out if the motor is mainly stock which could be very true. A guy on here ported his and put on a 52mm and gained about 5rwh on a dyno w/ some standard bolt ons.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

all i have so far is long tube headers and ory to a flowmaster. but i'm tearing into the motor so i figured while i'm in their ya know....... i'm gono get rr's probably 1.7 but i dono. dont know what much about rr's 1.6/1.7/1.8???????what are the gain for thoes anyway? i'm gono get a ram air cia and fiberglass ram air hood, short throw shifter, m/t dr's. thats all thats coming soon not all im gono do.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Banned

It would be worth it then to do the intake and 58mm since you are gonna be doing internal work. 1.6 rr's would do ya fine. You can expect about a 10rwh gain with them.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd still say get a 52mm TB and get some CC 1.6 Promagnum nsa rr's.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I'd still say get a 52mm TB and get some CC 1.6 Promagnum nsa rr's.
+1 on that fact!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Dont waste money on a 52 if your going to do it might as well get the 58 It wont hurt anything and will be there down the road when you do more stuff to the car!
Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by achotrod
dont waste money on a 52 if your going to do it might as well get the 58 it wont hurt anything and will be there down the road when you do more stuff to the car!
+2...
Old 01-27-2009, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

so whats the diffrence between 1.6, 1.7, 1.8 rr's ?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

the amount of valve lift.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

i mean i know that but what are the pro's and cons. the bigger the better?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I typed out a lengthy reponse, but accidentally navigated away and lost it. I will not retype everything, but I'll hit the high points.

There is no such thing as "too much air flow" for an internal combustion engine. More air (and fuel) = more power. If there was more air flow entering the throttle body, there would be more air entering the cylinders and therefore more power being made.

Throttle velocity is an idea that has carried over from the carbureted days. Because we use fuel injection, we don't care what the throttle velocity is. We can inject as much or as little fuel as we want, independant of air ingested. The LT1 intake has a large plenum. The plenum is supposed to supply constant near atmospheric pressure to the runners. The air in the plenum will be subject to large direction and velocity changes as it makes it's way to the cylinder, so velocity at the throttle body is of little concern.

You want your throttle body to be sized to supply enough air for the rpm range you operate in. If it is larger than that, well then you aren't in danger of the throttle body being the limiting factor in your engine combo.

The best thing you can do is to talk to somebody who actually works in the industry, say Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Inductions, not try and get advice from a public forum. Most of the people who have the answers don't hang around in places like this, or are at best infrequent.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RoAdRaGe912
...The best thing you can do is to talk to somebody who actually works in the industry, say Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Inductions, not try and get advice from a public forum. ...
I agree 100%, but I am sure Llyod will tell you the same thing, that a 58mm TB is not necessary for this application.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by roadrage912

the best thing you can do is to talk to somebody who actually works in the industry, say lloyd elliot or advanced inductions, not try and get advice from a public forum. Most of the people who have the answers don't hang around in places like this, or are at best infrequent.

wow thats the best thing i've read in years>>>>>>>
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On the intake, make sure you understand there are NO readily available upgrades. The Edelbrock is a joke at best with some testing indicating a LOSE of power compared to stock.

If you have an automatic tranny reprogramming for a bigger TB is necessary because line pressure is based in part off of throttle position and with a 52-58mm TB the car makes more power given the same TPS percentage at low throttle inputs.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I agree 100%, but I am sure Llyod will tell you the same thing, that a 58mm TB is not necessary for this application.
I agree that it is not neccessary, just not with your earlier reasoning that it could be a hinderance. I just tried to add a little info for those who are interested. Like you said in another thread, we never stop learning.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Launching!

If you are gonna build the motor (heads/cam) then do the ported intake and 58mm t.b. No reason to buy a 52mm when you can spend the few extra bucks and go 58. Lloyd will even tell you the same.

Now if you are not going to build the motor then forget about the ported intake and do the rockers and maybe a bigger t.b which really won't do much of anything if you aren't building. This is all that really needs to be said..
Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RoAdRaGe912
I typed out a lengthy reponse, but accidentally navigated away and lost it. I will not retype everything, but I'll hit the high points.

There is no such thing as "too much air flow" for an internal combustion engine. More air (and fuel) = more power. If there was more air flow entering the throttle body, there would be more air entering the cylinders and therefore more power being made.

Throttle velocity is an idea that has carried over from the carbureted days. Because we use fuel injection, we don't care what the throttle velocity is. We can inject as much or as little fuel as we want, independant of air ingested. The LT1 intake has a large plenum. The plenum is supposed to supply constant near atmospheric pressure to the runners. The air in the plenum will be subject to large direction and velocity changes as it makes it's way to the cylinder, so velocity at the throttle body is of little concern.

You want your throttle body to be sized to supply enough air for the rpm range you operate in. If it is larger than that, well then you aren't in danger of the throttle body being the limiting factor in your engine combo.

The best thing you can do is to talk to somebody who actually works in the industry, say Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Inductions, not try and get advice from a public forum. Most of the people who have the answers don't hang around in places like this, or are at best infrequent.
Isn't that kinda what this forum is for..information and guidance? So are you saying everyone besides the guy that agreed with you on this thread are uninformed idiots?

Quick Reply: t/b and intake manifold gains?