LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

key ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key ignition problem

one day i got in my car to just listen to the radio when i realized i couldnt turn the key backwards instead of forward like to crank the car up. Now everytime I try to take the key out I have to push the ignition in then turn it backwards to the lock position in order to get it out, what happened? I cant even sit in my car and listen to the radio!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem, and my lock got to the point where I could not take the key out at all. I had to replace the lock.
You will need to go to a dealer, take your vin and have them get you a lock cylinder for that car, and if you cannot get the key out like what happened to me, they can cut you a new key to match you existing one. Also shoebox has a write up on doing this.

tia

andy
Old 01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by andysc
I had the same problem, and my lock got to the point where I could not take the key out at all. I had to replace the lock.
You will need to go to a dealer, take your vin and have them get you a lock cylinder for that car, and if you cannot get the key out like what happened to me, they can cut you a new key to match you existing one. Also shoebox has a write up on doing this.

tia

andy
how much did you pay?
Old 02-01-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Your problem could be in the lock cylinder, the rods and sector going to the ignition switch or the ignition switch. I would first suspect the ignition switch (it could be jamming up). You could temporarily remove the rod from the switch and see if the key cylinder operates properly.