LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust leak...Causing bad o2 readings?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Exhaust leak...Causing bad o2 readings?

Okay,

I bought my Slp mid headers used. One hole was stripped on the driver side ball and flange. I cleaned it out and installed the y-pipe.

I back out the bolt a little bit and it ?Jumps a thread? causing it to be jammed and not allowing a complete seal. The smell is starting to drive me crazy and now the car is throwing a SES light as it begins to idle around 850 w/ seems like a very slight misfire (It did not do this before the header-y pipe install). I bought a f*ing $200 scanner (obd1 and 2) and it doesn't read on my gf's camaro or mine, but it will work fine on a cavalier(ob2) and a ford explorer (obd1)...

The o2 senor is right after the header and y pipe connection. Is this exhaust leak causing bad o2 readings? Also, how would I fix this leak, the smell is driving me mad! Btw, It has been literally only about 20 miles since the header install with brand new o2 sensors.

I'm thinking about buying to sets of stainless v-bands and v-banding the connections for the headers. Would I need to buy a flex pipe? and where would I need to put it?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it probably is causing your problem. I've never dealt with something like that though so im not sure what would be the best way to fix it.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A leaky exhaust can definitely cause an O2 issue. You haven’t been able to see what is causing the SES light to come on? Its probably a lean code due to the exhaust leak. A friend of mine put SLP mids on his 89 Formula and I’m betting they are the style and I'm trying to remember what the header to Y pipe connection looks like. Is there a way to drill out the bad threaded hole and use a bolt and nut instead of threading a bolt into the header flange?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust leak...Causing bad o2 readings?