LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 clutch fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LT1 clutch fluid

Ok how do I go about putting new fluid in, how do I bleed it, and what fluid should I use?

I'm having intermittent issues where the clutch isn't fully disengaging when the pedal is depressed or something. The sound it makes reminds me of when someone is taking too long to release the clutch pedal and it sounds like the clutch is slipping, it was hard to get it into any gear while this was going on, like the clutch was not disengaging all the way. On shorter trips it doesn't happen as much but if out on the road for over 20 minutes stuff starts going downhill in the clutch department, this clutch has been in there maybe 6-7 months. So I'm going to try to replace the fluid and bleed it, the fluid has been in there about 2 1/2 years when I replaced the slave. Weather in FL has been weird lately, low 20's in the morning and then 70's in the afternoon, I don't know if this has helped to affect the condition of the fluid or not. Thanks in advance for any help. -Corey
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Ok how do I go about putting new fluid in, how do I bleed it, and what fluid should I use?

I'm having intermittent issues where the clutch isn't fully disengaging when the pedal is depressed or something. The sound it makes reminds me of when someone is taking too long to release the clutch pedal and it sounds like the clutch is slipping, it was hard to get it into any gear while this was going on, like the clutch was not disengaging all the way. On shorter trips it doesn't happen as much but if out on the road for over 20 minutes stuff starts going downhill in the clutch department, this clutch has been in there maybe 6-7 months. So I'm going to try to replace the fluid and bleed it, the fluid has been in there about 2 1/2 years when I replaced the slave. Weather in FL has been weird lately, low 20's in the morning and then 70's in the afternoon, I don't know if this has helped to affect the condition of the fluid or not. Thanks in advance for any help. -Corey
our clutchs are i believe auto adjusting. you just fill them with brake fluid. however when you replace your master cylinder you have to open and close it manually to ensure that all the air bubbles come out of the reservoir when the caps off.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can use a mighty vac to bleed the system. Use dot4 brake fluid.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up doing nothing. Pedal feel is great, and it didn't make any strange noises at all today. The fluid looked OK in the reservoir.

I don't get it? I'll drive it out to school tomorrow, 35 minute drive both ways, and see if it acts up again.

Quick Reply: LT1 clutch fluid