LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Finally, pics of my custom NastyCamd93 CAI

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally, pics of my custom NastyCamd93 CAI

Pulled the car out of the garage a while ago and took it apart to take pics of the custom CAI. I cannot take credit for it since it was already on my car, but all my friends call it the NastyCamd93 CAI since its sorta a one off peice . NastyCamd93 is my screen name on the local F-body board which is what everyone knows me by.

Here's the pics with some info on how to get it all done.

NOTE: The car has all the a/c components removed along with washer fluid res. and bumper supports. Don't mind the crappy engine bay and zip ties, I need to find other ways of keeping the bumper from sagging....LOL!!!!

1. Pic with of what it looks like completed with the engine bay looking all nice and ****.

2. Here's what it looks like with the plastic radiator support removed, showing the Fernco piece, and relocated IAT sensor. Also pay attention to where the Fernco hits the metal support that runs across the car as t must be clearanced some. Last pic shows the hammer mod.

3. Filter, aluminum ext., and Fernco piece. I took pics of the filter part #, relocated IAT, and some measurements of Fernco.

4. Lastly, showing what needs to be cut on the plastic radiator support piece and the small fin on the radiator. The actual size may vary depending on what our gonna use but I included a measurement of the width of the cut.

There is no real step by step procedure to do this as its pretty straight foward. If there is anything that I missed let me know and I'll help you out as best I can or post more pics if needed. Here's what I would do if you want instructions.

1. Measure the width of Fernco piece and mark the plastic radiator support to make a cut where it will go down.

2. Clearance the radiator and metal peice where the Fernco will fit.

3. Make a hole to relocate the IAT and connect the filter and ext.

4. Throw everything together!!!!

-Isaac-
Old 02-08-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only thing i dont like is that the filter is resting on the radiator sucking up all that heat. and you being in Texas it probably gets really hot. you can see how the filter melted a little in one of the other pictures.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I like it. I think the amount of cold air in that air will negate any heat from the radiator.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:16 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah Im sure it does suck up some heat if its driven a lot, but my car sees about 20-30 miles a month so I don't worry about it much. I figure it should work great at the track, or with more creativity you can relocate it where it will work better.

-Isaac=
Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
I figure it should work great at the track, or with more creativity you can relocate it where it will work better.

-Isaac=
exactly, and that is on the side of ur engine bay where its suppose to be
Old 02-08-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooooo have you noted any gains in the 1/4 mi.

i did the Lid on my junk and picked up 1.5 mph and 2 tenths OVER the moroso cai.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Um... I'm surprised no one else noticed that the max diameter of that pipe at the bend looks to be only TWO inches!! That CAI has honestly had to of only HURT performance :S Good idea, but you need take the original dude's idea and go a bit further. Maybe do like twin 2"ers, like SLP did.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Off to the plumbing section to start mine.

This is what happens when im bored lol i Buy things
Old 02-08-2009, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Formula350
Um... I'm surprised no one else noticed that the max diameter of that pipe at the bend looks to be only TWO inches!! That CAI has honestly had to of only HURT performance :S Good idea, but you need take the original dude's idea and go a bit further. Maybe do like twin 2"ers, like SLP did.

I also noticed this when I got the car, but since I dont want to spend money on a CAI I'll keep it till I can find suitable plumbing. Im waiting till I have more time to find or make a polished aluminum piece to replace that crappy Fernco. Like I said before it work fairly well but with some more creativity it can be way better.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you're a really good welder, you could do like the Vettes do, and make the elbow piece flat and oval. Where being a good welder comes in, is you'd make your own elbow out of exhaust pipe (cut in 1/2) and some 1/16" sheet metal to create your own oval plumbing.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my copied version,
I did it with 3.5 aluminum intercooler piping. The bend is a little too loose so I had to hammer the top and underneath of the pipe to get it to bend a little tighter. The last thing I had to do was hammer the top to flatten it just a little bit to clear the hood. The filter I am using is a K&N rc-5040.

The air coming in definitely makes up for the hot air from the radiator. A matter of fact, when the fans come on, all I can feel in front of the radiator/filter is a storm of cool air.

btw
I'm not trying to steal your thunder or anything street demon, just thought I would show my tweaked version of yours.

Last edited by TasTe_GOOD; 02-09-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Anyone do this with a/c in there car?
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TasTe_GOOD
I did it with 3.5 aluminum intercooler piping. The bend is a little too loose so I had to hammer the top and underneath of the pipe to get it to bend a little tighter. The last thing I had to do was hammer the top to flatten it just a little bit to clear the hood. The filter I am using is a K&N rc-5040.

The air coming in definitely makes up for the hot air from the radiator. A matter of fact, when the fans come on, all I can feel in front of the radiator/filter is a storm of cool air.

btw
I'm not trying to steal your thunder or anything street demon, just thought I would show my tweaked version of yours.
Infront of the radiator isn't a big problem, it's when I wanted to slap on a filter right off the TB (since I'm speed density) that people said there'd be too much heat :\ Your 3.5" plumbing should work out really well Was that one of the filters I dug up for you?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

Was that one of the filters I dug up for you?
For the filter, I did some searching on K&N's web site, going through most of their filters. I made a couple templates to see what was the biggest filter I could install and rc-5040 was the best fit. I ended up having to unbolt and move the bumper/hatch support to fit the filter in to install it. Though your links help me realize their is a search engine for filters on K&N's site.

Originally Posted by whytryz28
Anyone do this with a/c in there car?
I don't think someone with a/c would be able to do this without hacking up their car. Without the a/c radiator (don't know what it is technically called), there is room for piping and a filter without much modding of the car.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet alot of people think you have a turbo setup
Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 AM
12 Second Club

btw

Now that's what Im talking about, I knew somone would be able to tweak this setup and make it better. I've been wanting to do something similar to that piping but I dont have time right now. Polish that tubing and it'll look sweet.....here's to you !!!!

BTW- How was the SOTP meter? Was there any difference in power?
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

Now that's what I'm talking about, I knew someone would be able to tweak this setup and make it better. I've been wanting to do something similar to that piping but I don't have time right now. Polish that tubing and it'll look sweet.....here's to you !!!!

BTW- How was the SOTP meter? Was there any difference in power?
Thanks
I just wanted to test it out so I put it on without polishing. I will eventually work up to polishing it. It is just that my arm is already sore from all the sanding on the orange-peel paint job from Macco...but I guess you get what you pay for.
I will probably polish it up when I install my E.water pump in about two weeks.

There was a definite sotp difference compared from when it was, but then again I installed this cai at the same time of a magnaflow catback and slp mids. While I was waiting for my mids to be ceramic coated, I'd figure I would give it a go at your kind of cai.

The only thing that sucks is that I know I have a bad exhaust leak from the header to the y-pipe (drivers side) causing the o2 not to read correctly. So I'll be installing some v-band clamps so that I can go from point A to B without dieing from the smell of fuel. Ow and with the full power of the car

Last edited by TasTe_GOOD; 02-09-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

There was a definite sotp difference compared from when it was, but then again I installed this cai at the same time of a magnaflow catback and slp mids. While I was waiting for my mids to be ceramic coated, I'd figure I would give it a go at your kind of cai.
Maybe install the factory, or your old CAI, and go for a spin, then hook up your new rig and see if you can feel the difference.

Can you hear the intake really well, or is it fairly quiet being way up inside the front end and in front of the motor? I know a few CAI make some distinct noises, like SLPs I believe make a decently cool whistle
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Im not sure about Taste_GOOD, but my intake has a very loud whistle. I've had people ask me if I had a blower lots of times, and then say "oh its turbo!" I just laugh when they ask me things lke that.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe install the factory, or your old CAI, and go for a spin, then hook up your new rig and see if you can feel the difference.

Can you hear the intake really well, or is it fairly quiet being way up inside the front end and in front of the motor? I know a few CAI make some distinct noises, like SLPs I believe make a decently cool whistle
I'm not sure about Taste_GOOD, but my intake has a very loud whistle.
I will hook up the old cai when my exhaust is fixed of its exhaust leak so that way I can have an accurate butt measurement lol.

Truthfully, I don't hear anything from the cai when I'm in the car driving or when I am next to the engine bay idling. I think there is no noise because everything is 3.5 inch all the way with a ported Maf. So with nothing to disturb the flow there is minimal noise and maximum performance (Hopefully). The only performance setback that I can think of with this intake would be that it is aluminum and not plastic, but that is a minimal power difference.

Last edited by TasTe_GOOD; 02-09-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: grammer

Quick Reply: Finally, pics of my custom NastyCamd93 CAI