is there any write up on how to pull the motor out the top of a camaro
Old 02-08-2009, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed...
Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are write ups for the bottom but not from the top i have seen.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing it through the bottom I really see no need to do it through the top unless it is an issue of tooling. If the car was parked in a gravel parking lot and all I had was some vice grips and a crescent wrench then by all means take it through the top but in all other scenarios my vote is for dropping the k-member
Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Anyone who has pulled a motor both ways will tell you that the out the bottom method is far easier.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

yep,just pulled mine out the bottem yesterday because its easer to swap trannies when the engines out,lol
Old 02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

ya i know theres a ton of opinions on which way to go i was just looking for a write up for out the top
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hackscamaro
ya i know theres a ton of opinions on which way to go i was just looking for a write up for out the top
With the majority saying that out the bottom is a much much better method.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

pm me and i will give you my .02 pennies. i would defintaly suggest pulling it the top. ive pulled motor alone, trans alone. and them together and i would suggest if you wanna pull the motor alone then pull it the top. i could pull my motor in about an hour out the top. no lie. the bottom you have to worry about the trans stuff and the brakes and making sure everything is lined back up again. if you want my .02 pennies just pm me and ill let ya know what makes things easier for me and why i like to be different from everyone else lol.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Out the bottom ... been though it many times and both ways.
http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

If you are going to do it though the top, invest in one of these:
http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module...y=Happy+Hooker
Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Staging Lane

If you want to take it out the top, I would suggest that you purchase the Happy Hooker engine plate from TPIS. It makes the lift a whole lot easier.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just finished taking mine through the top

unbolted the tranny, removed the a/c condensor, radiator, alt, heads, headers, intake, powersteering pump, motor mounts, etc

through the bottom is much quicker and easier but requires a lift or the ability to get the car atleast a couple feet off the ground and that was a problem for me with my limited tools and ceiling space
Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by myltwon
just finished taking mine through the top

unbolted the tranny, removed the a/c condensor, radiator, alt, heads, headers, intake, powersteering pump, motor mounts, etc

through the bottom is much quicker and easier but requires a lift or the ability to get the car atleast a couple feet off the ground and that was a problem for me with my limited tools and ceiling space
A floor jack, the rear tires on ramps, and the front up on a pair of 7-ton jack stands works. Though a lift is easier. I've used both for going out the bottom. I've done the out the top method before, and after doing it out the bottom, I will NEVER do it any other way.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oh well maybe next time, but like I said I don't have a very high ceiling
Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

damn i would respectably disagree with ss.slp.ls1. you pull the intake, headers, front acc., and the rad. and unbolt the trans obviously and the motor will be out. if you drop it out the bottom you still have to do everything the same but the bottom you leave the tranny on, but you have to unbolt the Ta, Driveshat. and worry about your brakes and your suspen. and going back in you have to make sure everything goes back in perfect. o well to each is their own right? we can sit here and compare dick sizes all day but it wont get any of us laid. so we all threw in our opinion lets just wish him good luck on however he decides to get it done lol
Old 02-09-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
damn i would respectably disagree with ss.slp.ls1. you pull the intake, headers, front acc., and the rad. and unbolt the trans obviously and the motor will be out. if you drop it out the bottom you still have to do everything the same but the bottom you leave the tranny on, but you have to unbolt the Ta, Driveshat. and worry about your brakes and your suspen. and going back in you have to make sure everything goes back in perfect. o well to each is their own right? we can sit here and compare dick sizes all day but it wont get any of us laid. so we all threw in our opinion lets just wish him good luck on however he decides to get it done lol
What are you talking about?! You don't have to touch the intake, headers, acc., or the rad. All you have to do is unbolt and remove the DS, unbolt the torque arm from the tranny (you don't have to completely remove it), unbolt the tranny crossmember, disconnect the wireharness from the body and interior harness, undo the front brake lines, and unbolt the 6 k-member bolts and the 8 shock bolts. EASY! You can remove the engine completely assembled and install it completely assembled! I don't know about you, but I would rather fully assemble the engine with all modifications while it's sitting on a dolly then do some mods, drop it in, and then have fun putting the intake and headers on.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

idk i guess ive just done it so many damn times in gravel with a hoist and found in my situations itd be easier to pull. i dont have the money to have a motor sitting on the side to throw in lol. again different scenarios call for different procedures.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

idk i guess ive just done it so many damn times in gravel with a hoist and found in my situations itd be easier to pull. i dont have the money to have a motor sitting on the side to throw in lol. again different scenarios call for different procedures.
Not to bash on you, but have you ever dropped it out of the bottom? Almost all of the advocates for the out the top method have done it that way and only that way. While it may work or you may be proficient at it from practice, I am willing to bet that you will never do it that way again once you drop it from the bottom. The second time doing it, you can have the complete engine, tranny and wire harness out in like 2 hours, fully assembled. And you can get it back in, fully assembled , in the same amount of time.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes i have ive swapped from a V6 A4 to a LT1 M6 so the entire front kmember and everything had to swap. it all depends. i would agree if i had a motor sitting right there already assembled yes i would prolly drop it. but the odds of me ever being able to pull the motor and have a full assembled on right there is next near to impossible. again it all depends on the scenario as to if i would prefer the top or bottom. but for me if im pulling just the motor alone. yea i would rather pull it through the top.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes i have ive swapped from a V6 A4 to a LT1 M6 so the entire front kmember and everything had to swap. it all depends. i would agree if i had a motor sitting right there already assembled yes i would prolly drop it. but the odds of me ever being able to pull the motor and have a full assembled on right there is next near to impossible. again it all depends on the scenario as to if i would prefer the top or bottom. but for me if im pulling just the motor alone. yea i would rather pull it through the top.
Regardless of the scenario, out the bottom is easier. Just my $0.02.

Search this Thread