LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

help me get a quote from a machine shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me get a quote from a machine shop

hey guys...i've got a spare lt1 laying around that i want to build into a 355. i'm just going to have them do the bottom end because i'm going to put the LE2 package on the top end and can do that myself. my questions are, what should i be making sure they do? i might spray 125 shot at the most. she's maybe going to see the strip a couple times in her life, but mostly a weekend/show car. what do you guys think i need? stock rods? aftermarket rods? recommendations on pistons? whatever else i should be making sure they do...thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by whammer33024
hey guys...i've got a spare lt1 laying around that i want to build into a 355. i'm just going to have them do the bottom end because i'm going to put the LE2 package on the top end and can do that myself. my questions are, what should i be making sure they do? i might spray 125 shot at the most. she's maybe going to see the strip a couple times in her life, but mostly a weekend/show car. what do you guys think i need? stock rods? aftermarket rods? recommendations on pistons? whatever else i should be making sure they do...thanks guys!
Machine work:
You will need a bore, hone, align hone, square deck, magnaflux, heat tank, recondition the rods (if reusing stock rods) and new rod bolts, 4.030" hypereutectic pistons (if your not going forged), polish the crank, new cam bearings, main bearings, rod bearings, balance the rotating assembly.

You can replace the stock rods and hypereutectic pistons for some forged I-beam or H-bean rods and some forged aluminum pistons (depends on your budget). Mahle or JE pistons are good, moly rings, eagle rods. Stock crank will be fine. Normally the machine work listed above can top 2-3 grand quick.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ he is right... but i SURE hope his quote includes parts
Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

see now that's why i wonder cause i sort of talked to the guy today and he told me $1181 bucks...then said if you want better pistons it will cost a little more and what not...am i missing something?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SLawson86
^^ he is right... but i SURE hope his quote includes parts
Yeah. I'd say maybe right at 2k after machine work and balancing with stock rods, crank, and hypereutectic pistons.
3k for forged internals.

1181 is NOT going to cut it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

taking my own parts to the machine shop... them hanging the pistons on the rods, boring, honing, checking the main saddles, decking, magnaflux, hottank, cam bearings, and balancing the assembly i was almost 1200 in labor. i supplied the bearings and rotating assembly. be more specific on what he is going to do for the said price... if it is including installing a rotating assembly, i would be worried
Old 02-11-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

but keep in mind, the machine shop i took mine to is a bit more in price than the competition. (very very precise guy, spec sheet of all clearances, torque applied to bore/hone) that price is NOT including polishing/grinding crankshaft, resizing rods, or assembly... i replaced the entire rotating assembly
Old 02-12-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'll have to call him again and make sure that price includes all that i'd want out of him. he did say that price included grinding on the crankshaft. maybe i'm just getting that good a deal, lol...i'll let you know when i talk to him again
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

i'll have to call him again and make sure that price includes all that i'd want out of him. he did say that price included grinding on the crankshaft. maybe i'm just getting that good a deal, lol...i'll let you know when i talk to him again
Make a list and get their price for each individual task...don't ask how much for a rebuild.

Tasks:
-bore & hone w/ torque plates
-align hone with main caps and oil pump torqued in place
-square deck
-heat tank
-magnaflux
-cam bearings
-cut/polish crank
-recondition rods, install new rod bolts (if reusing stock rods)
-pin the new pistons to the rods
-balance the rotating assembly

The total should give you a rough estimate of a rebuild, instead of asking how much over all. That price does not include the cost of new pistons, new rods (if not reusing stock rods), and new main and rod bearings.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks SS...you've been a big help. do you think i need to go forged or would i be okay with stock stuff?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks SS...you've been a big help. do you think i need to go forged or would i be okay with stock stuff?
I'd say it's not absolutely necessary, but if you have the money, do it. Just make sure your N2O set up is done with all the fail safes and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: help me get a quote from a machine shop