LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

fresh air hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default fresh air hose

can i take it off without hurting anything? i know the crankcase needs vacuum but can it get all it needs from the pcv system? i unhooked the fresh air hose while the car was running and i didnt feel much vacuum at idle from the tb. the reason im asking is its getting a decent amount of oil in the intake. i assume from blow-by. i was just gonna cap the port and put a breather in the valve cover
Old 02-11-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkySS
can i take it off without hurting anything? i know the crankcase needs vacuum but can it get all it needs from the pcv system? i unhooked the fresh air hose while the car was running and i didnt feel much vacuum at idle from the tb. the reason im asking is its getting a decent amount of oil in the intake. i assume from blow-by. i was just gonna cap the port and put a breather in the valve cover
I would try replacing your PCV valve first and inspecting all of your hoses in the pcv system. If you are set on ditching the PCV system, get a hold of another passenger side valve cover and put breathers on each of the filler necks on both valve covers. Cap off the TB, plug and cap the intake.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ElkySS
You don't get vacuum from that port at idle. Air goes the exact opposite way. It's really best to leave the system intact. If you are getting excess oil in the TB from blowby, configure a catch can in the middle of the fresh air hose.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
If you are getting excess oil in the TB from blowby, configure a catch can in the middle of the fresh air hose.
Wouldn't the catch can be better placed inline with the PCV?
I didn't know you could get oil in there from the fresh air hose.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think what happens is at high rpms the pcv valve cant keep up so the pressure relieves the easiest way which is through the fresh air hose. i installed one of those filters where the grommet goes in the cover and seems to be working