Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > LT1-LT4 Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to Slick02WS6
Default Coolant flow issues. . .

Its been a LONG time since I've dealt with an LT1 but this heating problem throws me for a loop. I get 0 heat at idle, it blows cold air. As soon as I give it gas, instant heat. The higher the rev's the warmer the air.

I've checked the coolant level, air bubbles in the system, and I even flushed the heater core.

Anyone have any ideas???? I'm thinking there's a clog someplace and the high revs cause the water pump to move faster pushing water past the clog thus giving me heat.
Slick02WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to ss.slp.ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick02WS6 View Post
Its been a LONG time since I've dealt with an LT1 but this heating problem throws me for a loop. I get 0 heat at idle, it blows cold air. As soon as I give it gas, instant heat. The higher the rev's the warmer the air.

I've checked the coolant level, air bubbles in the system, and I even flushed the heater core.

Anyone have any ideas???? I'm thinking there's a clog someplace and the high revs cause the water pump to move faster pushing water past the clog thus giving me heat.
Do you mean you see air bubbling in the radiator, or do you mean you checked for air bubbles? Are you sure it's bled properly using the bleeder screws? Do you lose any water at all?
Old 02-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

The bleeder screw sprays solid water when loose, does not seem to be burning anything off either. I'm not sure how I would see bubbles in the radiator but if you mean in the overflow bottle, then nothing. The entire system looks and acts like its functioning properly.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to ss.slp.ls1

Quote:
The bleeder screw sprays solid water when loose, does not seem to be burning anything off either. I'm not sure how I would see bubbles in the radiator but if you mean in the overflow bottle, then nothing. The entire system looks and acts like its functioning properly.
You are supposed to use the bleeder screws when filling your radiator, with the car off, after your car has cooled all the way. With the screws open, fill the radiator. When you see coolant come out of each bleeder valve, tighten it. Then top off your radiator. Then start your car, let it run with the heater on full blast, and top off the radiator. Put the cap on once the car starts to warm up. Let the car get to full operating temperature (226*), then shut it off and let it cool down all the way. Then repeat the steps all over again. Sometimes it takes a couple heat cycles to fully bleed the system.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

Quote:

I assume you a refering to Heater of your car and not the actual engine temp. The temperature blend door is vacuum operated. Higher rpms under 0% load equals more vacuum. Check your vacuum lines and connections.

FORGED 355 LT1 COMING SOON
MadMike 97 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks...I wouldnt doubt theres a leak someplace. . . .old *** car
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #7
TECH Resident
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Send a message via MSN to 1994Z28Lt1

there is also a coolant restrictor in the system to make sure the heater core doesn't get too much coolant it could very well be almost plugged
it appears to be #13 in this diagram
Click the image to open in full size.

Dyno 418 RWHP 378 Ft/lbs SAE
1994Z28Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
Staging Lane
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1

ah... gotta love LT1 cooling system... lol

-Aaron-
94Zstangwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1997, 94, bleeding, blows, cold, coolant, cooling, diagram, diagramm, heater, lt1, restrictor, system, z28