LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

!evap

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default !evap

anyone done this? I know probably no performance gains to be had but im trying to clean up the engine bay. Any write ups, opinions or info out there?

Thanks guys
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
anyone done this? I know probably no performance gains to be had but im trying to clean up the engine bay. Any write ups, opinions or info out there?

Thanks guys
I removed mine.
Just yank it all out.
I read to put a breather on the hard plastic line that comes in the engine bay with the plastic fuel lines. But I just left mine uncapped inside the plastic sleeve.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I removed mine.
Just yank it all out.
I read to put a breather on the hard plastic line that comes in the engine bay with the plastic fuel lines. But I just left mine uncapped inside the plastic sleeve.

do you remember how many SES codes you got with the evap gone?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
do you remember how many SES codes you got with the evap gone?
I removed all of my smog stuff at the same time I did my cam swap and put in my MadTuner tuned PCM...so no codes.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I removed all of my smog stuff at the same time I did my cam swap and put in my MadTuner tuned PCM...so no codes.
so did Ion just delete all the evap codes or what?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
so did Ion just delete all the evap codes or what?
Yeah, he deleted all of the smog codes.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just one code for the evap. i just took mine out and had vince at trifecta tune it out in my tune
Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wonder if obdI will throw a code? Either way, if its gonna throw i code i just wont do it until i do my cam swap this spring and need a new tune anyways
Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

i wonder if obdI will throw a code? Either way, if its gonna throw i code i just wont do it until i do my cam swap this spring and need a new tune anyways
Just measure the resistance through the solenoids and wire up a resistor.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Guys, you do know if you jsut leave it uncapped you have raw gas vapors leaking into the engine compartment. That coupled with the nylon gas lines is a recipe for a complete engine fire or explosion.

The evap system can't be capped off either because it will allow pressure to build up in the tank, which could eventually take out a fuel pump and cause a vapor-lock like condition.

I actually have experience with this situation... Went through a number of fuel pumps and had a nasty chemical burn for my troubles in understanding how the system works... It is still hooked up to my car to this day and it is far from a 'stock' setup... There is absoloutly no need to remove it...
Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Guys, you do know if you jsut leave it uncapped you have raw gas vapors leaking into the engine compartment. That coupled with the nylon gas lines is a recipe for a complete engine fire or explosion.

The evap system can't be capped off either because it will allow pressure to build up in the tank, which could eventually take out a fuel pump and cause a vapor-lock like condition.

I actually have experience with this situation... Went through a number of fuel pumps and had a nasty chemical burn for my troubles in understanding how the system works... It is still hooked up to my car to this day and it is far from a 'stock' setup... There is absoloutly no need to remove it...
I have mine uncapped way over in the corner of the engine bay. I don't see anything wrong with it way over there.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast

im not sure but I would think you could cap it off if you replaced the sealed gas cap with a vented one. that should prevent vapor lock and fumes in the engine bay.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did it to mine a little bit ago, pulled the whole system, heres some pics from my build thread...

This pic is of the actual canister located behind the drivers rear tire. Just kinda wiggled it free.

Here are the lines I pulled from the engine bay. The little block piece is attached to the intake by a 7 mm bolt. I ended up capping the TB where it connected to.

I just need to put a filter on the end of the main line so the gas fumes can properly vent

btw, i didnt end up throwing a code.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MadMike 97 Z28
im not sure but I would think you could cap it off if you replaced the sealed gas cap with a vented one. that should prevent vapor lock and fumes in the engine bay.
Actually, the vent only allows air in, not vapors out. There is also a white check-valve down near the fuel filter that does the same thing, that is why a vented gas cap is not needed on our cars...

So if pressure builds up there is no way for it to get out except to go through the evap system and into the intake...
Old 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

so do i just pull all of the hoses and stuff out and then leave the las hose uncapped somewhere? Or do i need a special filter? Thanks guys
Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

autozone sells a filter you can stick in there, pretty cheap too, couple bucks
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

does deleting evap require a tune? Its not going to throw off my A/F ratio is it?
Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

does deleting evap require a tune? Its not going to throw off my A/F ratio is it?
No you don't need a tune, it might throw a code though, but I have read that you can just wire in resistors that matches the resistance of the solenoids.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

I'm in the middle of my cam swap. Some of these lines are very brittle and are near breaking. I also don't like the clutter. It's just more crap to get in the way. I'd love to get rid of this stuff bit I'm still not sure what is safe to block off or pull. My EGR system is already gone. I've also read that most people are using a vented gas cap after this delete. There was some discussion that if you roll the car it could be more dangerous because gas will spill. In my vert I think I'd be screwed anyway.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

pull all the parts you see in the pictures above, put a cap on the throttle body and a inline filter on the main line to the gas tank and you are good to go

Quick Reply: !evap