LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opinions on harmonic balancers..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on harmonic balancers..

When do you think its time to upgrade, from the stock style harmonic balancer, to something like a Fluidampr?? Or is there another kind, that you should upgrade to that I'm not aware of?? What do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Problem with the stockers is that they aren't keyed, pinned, or staked to the crank. They are kind of a interference fit item. Put enough torque to them with extra stuff on the front drive or dragging, and they'll slip. I'm not really sure of what the official avalanche point is with them.. if there actually is one. I have an Innovations West unit I picked up. I'm not going to advocate them only because I haven't mounted it and put the **** to it yet and I can't really take it apart to see what makes it tick. So I can't really say that it is any better built (from a performance and durability standpoint) than a stocker. I purchased it because I needed an 8 rib unit to drive my blower and it is keyed as well. It IS pretty though..
I would say if you dump the clutch, drag, or are running any extra stuff off your front drive, a "staked on" balancer is a good idea. Fluid Damprs are plain out cool anyhow.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Teching In

couldn't you just drill a hole and put a pin in it under the bolt like an ls1's or is it different?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The LT1 crank does have a keyway in it, the stock pulley doesn't. So, yes, the factory simply goes with the interference fit.

I have one of the "original" Fluidamprs, and all I had to do, in order to use it, was put a "key" in the crank. If you're worried about an OE pulley slipping on the crank, Golen Engine Service can broach a notch in your stock pulley for a nominal charge.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
The LT1 crank does have a keyway in it, the stock pulley doesn't. So, yes, the factory simply goes with the interference fit.

I have one of the "original" Fluidamprs, and all I had to do, in order to use it, was put a "key" in the crank. If you're worried about an OE pulley slipping on the crank, Golen Engine Service can broach a notch in your stock pulley for a nominal charge.
Good to know!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are interested, I could set you up with an ATI SFI approved dampener.

I offer one with a lightweight shell, a keyway for positive location, & a 10% underdrive to free up a few more HP.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

I did think of askin' you Lonnie, about this topic..I remembered, when we were talking about fuel pumps,etc...that you were an ATI dealer What kinda price for the lightweight shell unit, and for the 10% underdrive unit?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Banned

thats interesting. So u should change it if running a blower.[

QUOTE=leadfoot4;11118186]The LT1 crank does have a keyway in it, the stock pulley doesn't. So, yes, the factory simply goes with the interference fit.

I have one of the "original" Fluidamprs, and all I had to do, in order to use it, was put a "key" in the crank. If you're worried about an OE pulley slipping on the crank, Golen Engine Service can broach a notch in your stock pulley for a nominal charge.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Sent
Old 03-24-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by V10GTS
thats interesting. So u should change it if running a blower.[

QUOTE=leadfoot4;11118186]The LT1 crank does have a keyway in it, the stock pulley doesn't. So, yes, the factory simply goes with the interference fit.

[/QUOTE]

Its a REAL good idea from a "preventing problems down the line" standpoint. Most of the centrifugal blower kits either come with a keyed crank pulley or a "pinning kit". This because they realize that it is eventually going to be a problem down the line, if not right off the bat.

Quick Reply: Opinions on harmonic balancers..