LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird ticking sound.....please need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird ticking sound.....please need help

So I just finished my header install last week and finally got the exhaust sealed up this morning. There is a weird ticking sound coming from under the hood. I am really stumped and about ready to just light the car on fire and collect insurance.

I checked the flanges and all the bolts are VERY tight, I'm a little scared to tighten them anymore because I do not want to break one off or strip it out. This was even after a couple of heat cycles. I check the spark plugs and plug wires and that is not it. I just changed them and I am still getting a LOUD ticking sound coming from under the hood.

I just really don't know what else it could be. Also, on a side note, the headers are using a Percy's Seal-4-Good gasket, I changed the oil while I had everything apart, and now I am getting a check engine light.

Any help would be appreciated guys.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where exactly is the noise coming from?

Typically, headers amplify valvetrain noise. See if you can pinpoint if it is a specific area.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

You know i have that same problem, I get a ticking noise when the car heats up it gets louder. Check the collector gaskets, EGR connections, header flanges, any exhaust clamps. If you can get the car in the air, start the car and run your hand around all the flanges and you can feel air puffing out if its leaking there.

Also I know your rocker arms can create almost the same noise, I know you didnt mention anything about touching the valvetrain but it may be a possiblity. You should get one of those cheap Stethoscopes from autozone, it really helps.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

The sound is extremely hard to track down. It sounds really loud by the driver head and is fainter by the passenger head. It's not the exhaust clamps and it does not have collector gaskets since it is a slip style header.

I know that headers amplify valvetrain noise, but this is way louder.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea that seems like a tough one to track down, does it tick faster and louder with increased RPM?

It might be valvetrain related, maybe a cracked valve spring or bent pushrod or maybe even the lash is just off.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind, headers don't silence the exhaust pulse as well as the cast iron manifolds. If you didn't have valve train noise before you installed the headers, and you didn't touch the engine, other than installing the headers, this is probably what you're hearing.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Also, the primaries on the driver side turned blue only after a few mintues of running. Almost like the motor is running really lean/hot on that side. Oh, and the car is running very rough like it has a little miss to it.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you o2s got messed up during the install? Also sounds like its valvetrain related could be a loose rocker or a bad lifter
Old 03-03-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

i am having the exact same issue its running a little rough but im sure mine is leaking from the EGR tube on the header. i am picking it up from the paint shop tonite and im putting block off plates on the EGR, i hope thats all it is
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should see if there are any trouble codes, could save you a little time
Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AChotrod
I wonder if you o2s got messed up during the install? Also sounds like its valvetrain related could be a loose rocker or a bad lifter
They might have, but that doesn't explain the ticking. And could a valvetrain part go bad just from installing headers?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Launching!

no the VT wont get messed up installing headers.
probably header gasket isnt on correct and not sealing right.
or its leaking at the collector.
are the headers new or used? if used, maybe its got a warped surface.
try to feel around when the car is running to see if you can feel any exhaust pressure. can you smell anything?

you could have a plug wire not on all the way or burnt, or could be a bad o2, thats whats causing the roughness.

valve train is amplified when you install headers, but its more of a sewing machine sounds, than a ticking. maybe you do have a rocker out of adjustment, and you notice it now because you are more cautious of things.

even though everything is tight. doesnt mean its not leaking.

aaron
Old 03-03-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Aaron
no the VT wont get messed up installing headers.
probably header gasket isnt on correct and not sealing right.
or its leaking at the collector.
are the headers new or used? if used, maybe its got a warped surface.
try to feel around when the car is running to see if you can feel any exhaust pressure. can you smell anything?

you could have a plug wire not on all the way or burnt, or could be a bad o2, thats whats causing the roughness.

valve train is amplified when you install headers, but its more of a sewing machine sounds, than a ticking. maybe you do have a rocker out of adjustment, and you notice it now because you are more cautious of things.

even though everything is tight. doesnt mean its not leaking.

aaron
I just did a scan and it is saying one of my o2 sensors is bad. It had longtubes on it before so I don't see how switching brands would amplify the valvetrain noise that much. They are a new header. I am just afraid that if I tighten the bolts any more they are going to break off.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Launching!

i thought you went from manifolds to headers. you will hear it.
also depends on who the manufacturer is. some brands use thinner gauge steel than others.
the o2 is whats making it run rough. get it fixed, it will run much better.
if the bolts are tight, then i would be looking at the collector and gasket areas
if there is old gasket material left on head, or if the gasket didnt line up right at the head it could cause a leak.
also the collector, or anywhere else the rest of the exhaust that meets with the headers could be leaking.

its a gasket sealing issue, not a bolt tighten issue.

aaron
Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

I would definitely look into changing the O2 sensors because thats most like causing the majority of your problems. You said it threw an SES code and it's running rough. So my bet is on those sensors bein the culperate. Just my .02

Kyle
Old 03-04-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

my air pump fiting was loose (plug backed out a little) and caused me all types of fun I tracked it down my accident and the car is a lot quiter now and runs alot better
Old 03-04-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

your noise sounds like its a valvetrain problem to me...i also have a ticking noise coming from the driver side of my engine...i have pin pointed the noise to under my driver side valve cover...i have to get it checked out soon...the sound gets louder and faster as rpms get higher anyone have any ideas...read this thread and i had a similar problem sorry for the thead hijack
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had bad luck sith these same header gaskets, not saying thats your prob.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well last night me and a few buddies diagnosed it and it was the header gaskets. We took one out and it was leaking like hell on the back side. Thinking they could be in wrong I took it out, flipped it, and reinstalled it. Still leaking, just not as bad. I said the hell with it and ordered some good copper gaskets. I'm going to replace them Friday so I will know then.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey out of curiosity could you hear the ticking as soon as you started the car or did it tick when the car was warmed up?

Quick Reply: Weird ticking sound.....please need help