LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel pressure guage install questions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Fuel pressure guage install questions..

I have the sending unit:

What adaptor do i need to fit the shrader valve? I heard i could pick one up at napa pretty cheap.

Also, where do you guys recommend going through the firewall for the wiring? What is the easiest/best place that will allow the wiring to reach the gauge? It is going on the A-pillar. Thanks guys

Last edited by MTBSully; 03-03-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
I have the sending unit:

What adaptor do i need to fit the shrader valve? I heard i could pick one up at napa pretty cheap.

Also, where do you guys recommend going through the firewall for the wiring? What is the easiest/best place that will allow the wiring to reach the gauge? It is going on the A-pillar. Thanks guys
Don't know about the adapter, but you could route the line with all of the other wires going in through the firewall near the steering column, then route it to the a-pillar.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Don't know about the adapter, but you could route the line with all of the other wires going in through the firewall near the steering column, then route it to the a-pillar.
i'll take a look. It would be awesome if i didnt have to drill anything.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'll take a look. It would be awesome if i didnt have to drill anything.
I did not have to drill anything into the firewall when I did my gauges. There was a small hole with a couple wires through it around the steering column that already had a grommet and everything. Its been a long time so I don't remember exactly where the hole was, but if you get under the steering coulumn and start moving stuff around you should find it. As a bonus I found a piece of wire leading to and from nowhere - guess it was from an old alarm or something that was cut out .

Ran it from that hole up through the dash and into the a-pillar. Not a single piece of wire is visible anywhere in the cabin.

I did not use the schrader valve, but IIRC you can use -4 NPT female to whatever your sending unit is(usually 1/8 NPT) adapter for that. Of course remember to pull the pin out of the schrader valve with the same thing you use to take them out of bike or car tires.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
I did not have to drill anything into the firewall when I did my gauges. There was a small hole with a couple wires through it around the steering column that already had a grommet and everything. Its been a long time so I don't remember exactly where the hole was, but if you get under the steering coulumn and start moving stuff around you should find it. As a bonus I found a piece of wire leading to and from nowhere - guess it was from an old alarm or something that was cut out .

Ran it from that hole up through the dash and into the a-pillar. Not a single piece of wire is visible anywhere in the cabin.

I did not use the schrader valve, but IIRC you can use -4 NPT female to whatever your sending unit is(usually 1/8 NPT) adapter for that. Of course remember to pull the pin out of the schrader valve with the same thing you use to take them out of bike or car tires.

i couldnt find anything by the drivers side but i did find a rubber gromet and hole in the firewall above where the passengers feet go. So i ran the wires behind the dash and center consol and they are now at the drivers feet. I need to lengthen them a bit.

Tomorrow i need to figure out the schrader valve thing. Puck, where did you buy your adaptor?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i couldnt find anything by the drivers side but i did find a rubber gromet and hole in the firewall above where the passengers feet go. So i ran the wires behind the dash and center consol and they are now at the drivers feet. I need to lengthen them a bit.

Tomorrow i need to figure out the schrader valve thing. Puck, where did you buy your adaptor?
YGPM

I found my notes on the install and the rubber grommet and hole I found was right above and to the left of the brake pedal, in an "indentation" stamped into the firewall. If you don't have one then I guess the previous owner put it there and I just got lucky.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Puck
YGPM

I found my notes on the install and the rubber grommet and hole I found was right above and to the left of the brake pedal, in an "indentation" stamped into the firewall. If you don't have one then I guess the previous owner put it there and I just got lucky.
never got a PM?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the sending unit:

You should run a -4 an line from the schrader valve to keep as much weight off the fitting as possible. It's an expensive fix to if you create a crack there. Buying a length of braided fuel line with the -AN fittings will solve your fitting issue as the standard m/f ends are what you need to add the sender. Once again, remember to remove the valve stem from the schrader.

Really the only place to go through the firewall without drilling is under the PCM on the passenger side. Carefully pull the PCM up and you will see a large, extended rubber grommet where all the engine compartment wiring goes into the cabin. Grease a length of small but stiff wire with your sender wires in tow and feed it down the grommet. Push about a foot through. Drop the ps dash panel (easy to do) and feel around, you should locate your stiff wire and be able to pull the sender wires down. You can then route them under the dash and up to the pillar.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ended up buying a 90 deg -4 AN to 1/8" NPT elbow, and a 1/8" npt coupler. Fuel gauge is in and works great. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure guage install questions..